Re: D. before names in RC records

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
      One possibility: Could the D. stand for Dominus/a (Lord/Lady)? Is
      there anything in the record that might make you think these people
      were prominent - maybe the notation is larger than normal or uses
      fancier capitals? You mentioned your cousin getting a "fancy
      baptismal record"; do you mean the original record was ornate in
      some way, which would suggest these were gentry? But if you know the
      names of the local gentry, this might not pan out. Just a thought!

      Joe Armata
      joe@...
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
        Hi Joe,

        That thought occured to me, but I don't think so, altho the Joseph
        Neczasek who was the father of the Joseph in the records was supposed to
        have been a doctor according to family story written down in Sabinov
        later.

        But that wouldn't explain the D. in front of everyone's name......
        especially the bride who was only 16.

        I also thought of "deceased" but that of course made no sense for the
        living couple.

        I guess I just need to keep digging!

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
          Another thought on the D before the name--perhaps it represents some form of
          a prayer, with D being short for Deus. The Irish nuns always put a cross on
          the top of everything they wrote--letters, etc. Since a cross in the church
          records of Slovakia usually indicated that the baby had died, perhaps the D
          is a prayer? Just a thought. Caroline