Surnames

  • edmaul
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
      June 24, 1998 Susan Jozefek , Michigan

      (Vrbovce)

      My father, John Jozefek, had a brother, Martin Jozefek, and a sister, Anna Skok. Martin Jozefek's first wife's name was Anna Melicharek. She died. His second wife's name was Kristina Bedndrova (born Mareckova). married Martin Jozefek. She died also.

      She was a widow when she

      Martin Jozefek (who died about 1972) had 3 daughters: Anna Plesa, Susie Zona and Kristina Mareckova. Susie Zona and Kristina Mareckova are both deceased. Anna Plesa is presently in a Nursing Home in Massachusetts. Her daughter, Betty, who is married, lives there and can visit her at the Nursing Home. Anna Plesa has another daughter, Susie Plesa, who is Assistant Superintendent of a school in England.

      Susie Zona had a daughter, Lillian, who is now deceased, and a son, John. They lived in Albany, New York.

      Kristina Mareckova lived in Vrbovce. She died on August 4, 1997. Her children are as follows: Anna Melicharkova, Alzbeta Navratilova, Zuzana Hyzova and John Marecek.

      Anna Melicharkova lives in Vrbovce with her husband Pavol Melicharek. Anna

      Their Melicharkova has a daughter, Anna, who is married to Pavol Sukupcak. children are Miroslava and Radko.

      Alzbeta Navratilova lives in Myjava with her husband, Juraj Navratil and their son, Peter Navratil.

      She had two children with her first husband, Pavol Filus, as follows:

      Danka Filusova who is married to Martin Tomes. They have 2 sons, Martin and Lubo s .

      Pavol Filus who married Katarina. They have a son, Patrik.

      Zuzana Hyzova lives with her husband, John Hyza. She has 2 sons: Paul Hyza (wife Monika) They do not have any children. John Hyza (wife Olga)

      They have a daughter, Linda. They live in Vrbovce.

      John Marecek lives near Vrbovce with his wife Lidka. They have 2 children living at home: a daughter, Lidka and a son, Jaroslav.

      John Marecek also has a son, John Marecek, who is married to Vladimira. They have a son, John.

      My father's sister, Anna Skok (who died in1970) had a daughter, Alzbeta

      ~dslna. ~ne lives in Vrbovce with her daughter, Anna Zlochova and her husband,

      Martin Zloch. Martin Zloch's mother passed away suddenly in October of 1997.

      She was 70 years old.

      Anna Zlochova has a daughter, Janka, who is married to Lubomir Havel. She is a teacher at the school in Vrbovce. They live in Vrbovce.

      They have a 5 year old daughter, Lucinka.

      Anna Zlochova has a son, Zdenko, who is married to Slavka Kadlecikova. He is a police Officer. They have a son, Martin, who is about 9 months old. They live in Nitra, Slovakia.

      Ed, Pleasantville, New York

    • Ed Maul
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 19, 2003
        Researching:

        Filus, Jancar, Jozefek/Josefek, Nochta,

        Places:
        Vrbovce, Slovakia
        Straznice, Moravia, Czech

        Ed, Pleasntville, New York

      • bucyrus92504
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 24, 2003
          Hello to All
          I am new to the group but will help with what I may know. I am
          researching surnames: Safigan, Macenko and Vuletic. I certainly would
          appreciate any info and will direct questions to the group the more I
          dive into the geneology of my Slovakian heritage. Thanks in advance
          for your help. Virginia
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 24, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bucyrus92504"
            <bucyrus92504@y...> wrote:
            > Hello to All
            > I am new to the group but will help with what I may know. I am
            > researching surnames: Safigan, Macenko and Vuletic. I certainly
            would
            > appreciate any info and will direct questions to the group the more
            > dive into the geneology of my Slovakian heritage. Thanks in advance
            > for your help. Virginia

            Hello Virginia

            Are you new to posting to other groups as well ?

            your Slovakian heritage ?

            What language(s) did your surnames speak and what was their religion ?

            How are you ? English

            Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

            Hogy Van ? Hungarian

            Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

            Jak se máte ? Czech

            Jak sie masz ? Polish

            Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

            159 surnames Vuletic' who emigrated to the US were from Croatia
            (once part of former Yugoslavia)
            They bore Croatian first names and Vuletic' is a Croatian
            surname.

            The surname Macenko was from Austria-Poland and Galicia, and
            also Stráz^ske (Sk) O"rmezo" (H), Slovakia.

            Perhaps Slovak or Ruthenian or Polish ethnicity ?

            And the surname Safigan/Savigan/Safijan does not look very Slovak ?

            Frank K
          • Jean & Harry Helbrecht
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 30, 2004
              Dear Valdamir,
              Thank you, for your great offer. I have a surname puzzle that you that
              you may be able to help me clear up.
              Same family three surnames Czuna, Cuna, and Kuka
              Thank you
              regards
              Jean
            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 25 , May 1, 2004
                Dear Jean,
                Since we are by the names, my name is Vladimir , not Valdamir. It is not the same, how you spell a name.
                I checked, but none of the names you gave are there.
                Maybe Kuka is related to Kukan.
                Vladimir

                Thank you, for your great offer. I have a surname puzzle that you that
                you may be able to help me clear up.
                Same family three surnames Czuna, Cuna, and Kuka
                Thank you
                regards
                Jean

                http://www.eset.sk

              • Kelly
                Message 7 of 25 , May 2, 2004
                  Dear Vladimir,

                  Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.

                  Kelly Gyurkovits
                • n8de@thepoint.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 2, 2004
                    Kelly,
                    Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                    surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                    Don Havlicek
                    Connersville, IN

                    > Dear Vladimir,
                    >
                    > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                    >
                    > Kelly Gyurkovits

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • GRETCHEN HERROCK
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 2, 2004
                      Would that also be "Georgovich" or something of the sort in English? My
                      grandfather was named Gyurka or "George"...just a thought.

                      Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                      surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                      Don Havlicek
                      Connersville, IN

                      > Dear Vladimir,
                      >
                      > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                      >
                      > Kelly Gyurkovits

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2004
                        Dear Kelly,
                        there are very many variations to this theme. They all have root in the slavic name Juraj, who is a synonim for spring.
                        Vladimir

                        Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                        surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                        Don Havlicek
                        Connersville, IN

                        > Dear Vladimir,
                        >
                        > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                        >
                        > Kelly Gyurkovits

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        http://www.eset.sk

                      • Fran
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                          searching for Surnames Kumer and Petyak
                        • johnqadam
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                            >>> searching for Surnames Kumer and Petyak <<<

                            When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
                            is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
                            so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
                            necessary to know the religion.
                          • Paul Guzowski
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                              Fran et al,
                              I'm new to this group, am no expert, and have only just started researching
                              my own heritage on my dad's side which is Polish. I have encountered some of
                              the same problems you have in trying to trace my roots. I am living and
                              working in Central/Eastern Europe for over five years now and have been in
                              Bratislava, Slovakia, since November 2005 so offer a couple of observations
                              that may be of assistance.
                              First, if you knew when your grandfather immigrated to the US it would be a
                              big help. The borders in this part of Europe changed drastically after WWI
                              with the June 1920 Treaty of Trianon, the treaty that dissolved the Kingdom
                              of Hungary of which present-day Slovakia was a part. You can find more
                              detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Trianon . The Czechs
                              declared their independence on 28 October 1918 and the Slovaks joined them
                              two days later forming the first Republic of Czechoslovakia. My reading of
                              Slovak history doesn't indicate much migration away from the family's
                              original seat during those days. However, it is entirely possible that
                              either or both of them originally came from what is the northern part of
                              modern-day Hungary or the eastern part of the modern Czech Republic (e.g.
                              Moravia).
                              Secondly, both family and given names can present a problem. My grandfather
                              changed his name from Franciszek to Frank to ease pronunciation for Americans
                              and to avoid highlighting himself. I found a table comparing English,
                              German, and Polish given names that helped me a lot here:
                              http://www.sggee.org/AlternateChristianNames.pdf. Maybe something similar
                              exists for Slovak given names. In any case, I'd be willing to wager a mug of
                              Zlaty Bazant beer that his given name was František, which is very common
                              here.
                              Family names can be problematic, too. Most Slavic languages differentiate
                              between male and female with an ending on the family name. For example, my
                              grandmother was Stanislawa Jasinska in Poland but in the US it became
                              Jasinski, just as it did for her mother. In Slovak, all female family names
                              (at least all that I have encountered) end in 'ova' hence your grandmother's
                              family name would have been Petyakova as would her mother's.
                              There are two other nuances to be aware of concerning names. First, while
                              Czech family names present no problem for Slovaks except for a few minor
                              differences in pronunciation due to slightly different alphabets, Hungarian
                              names are another story. For one thing, in Hungarian the family name is
                              given first followed by the given name. Also, there are some family names
                              (mostly stemming from trades like smith, tailor, etc) which exist in both
                              languages and are even pronounced the same but are spelled differently due to
                              the different alphabets. To add to the confusion, towns and cities in public
                              records could have different names or spellings depending on which country
                              they were a part of at the time. For example, Bratislava was Pressburg to
                              the Austrians and Pozsony to the Hungarians.
                              That said Petyak does sound Slavic to me, lots of Petyaks show up in PA when
                              doing a Google search, and lots of Slovaks emigrated to PA. Kumer sounds
                              German. Germans established the mining industry in central Slovakia so your
                              grandfather's heritage could have been German but I have also found reference
                              to it as a Slovene name in some genealogy resources.
                              In sum, knowing the precise date of your grandparents' arrival in the US and
                              their names in Slovak would probably help immensely in unraveling the
                              mystery. As a postscript, I'm reading a book now called "Polish Roots" by
                              Maryanne Chorzempa that has lots of great information about genealogy
                              research in this part of Europe, including some Slovak references. You may
                              want to see if your library has a copy. As I said, I'm no expert but hope
                              these few insights might help.

                              Good Luck!

                              Paul
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                Great comments Paul. Welcome to the group.
                                You've framed things very succinctly, I am sure your knowledge will help
                                others.
                                Thanks,

                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                  Dear Paul,
                                  Slovak "ova"endings have officially been introduced after the WW1, because they were dictated by the Czechs. You can find them in church records before that time only sporadically.
                                  Since I am Slovene, I would bet, Kumer is slovenian. I mean "that"Kumer. The surname is in any case.
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir

                                  __________ Informacia od NOD32 1978 (20070114) __________

                                  http://www.eset.sk