Re: Introduction (and a question)

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
      Those are good basic questions. Your grandmother was born in what would
      later be Czechoslovakia. At that time it was part of the Austro-Hungarian
      Empire. People would write "Austria" for short. Bohemia was the name of
      the area which is now the western part of today's Czech Republic. It was
      once a kingdom, but never a country in the modern sense, so that's why the
      census shows a correction.

      She could well have been Polish. People moved around.

      Jim Honeychuck
      Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
        Hi Debbe & Mira:

        I grew up in the little mining town of Taylor, Pa. In the Phelps Patch
        section of Taylor. The lady who lived about 3 houses up from us was Mrs.
        Mudrak. She was ancient when I was a young girl and am sorry to say I know
        nothing about the family.

        If this is an area you are interested in, there are churches there that may
        give you a clue.

        Joan
      • PleaseNA@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
          Hi Debbe. I know that you received an answer to you question all ready. I
          just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. My grandparents came from
          Hungary. The 1920 census states Aust-Pol, and his death certificate says
          Czech. To top it all off the town he was born in (Munkacs) is now part of the
          Ukraine! What a mess <g>
          Good luck
          Karen G

          We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust our sails
          L.I.T.S.C.H.A.U.E.R.,K.R.A.I.C.S., G.A.L.V.A.N.O., B.A.R.T.O.L.O.M.E.O.,
          B.A.U.E.R., M.U.E.L.L.E.R.,.M.A.N.N.A.R.I.N.O., A.D.D.E.R.