Re: [S-R] UMLAUF/PRIRVATSKA (Pitlak)

  • Peter Pikna
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      Jan,
      your grandfather is from Zubrohlava - small village in Slovakia, Upper Orava
      county close Polish border. You can find information on
      http://www.namestovo.sk/zubrohlava/
      and http://www.namestovo.sk/biela_orava.htm.
      Your name Umlauf is German origin (it means circulation) and there is not
      common.
      Nitra is in Slovakia.
      Sokol was a wide sport and cultural movement in Czech republic and after
      1918 in Slovakia too. They were interesting mostly for athletics and
      gymnastics sports. In the cultural side they played mostly amateur theatre.
      Tel. jednota means a sport team.

      Peter

      >From: Jan Umlauf <adagio@...>
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [S-R] UMLAUF/PRIRVATSKA (Pitlak)
      >Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:48:38 -0800
      >
      > I just rec'd. copies of the obituaries for our Grandparents from the
      >Hammond, IN library. It states that they were members of the National
      >Slovak Society. They lived their lives in Hammond, IN (Robertsdale).
      > Here is there information I obtained from John's petition for
      >naturalization: John Umlauf Born 25 May 1880 in Yubrohlava, Hungary
      >(Ostrava, Czech. I believe). Came to US in 1900 aboard the
      >Deutschland--sailed out of Hamburg, Germany on May 1. Arrived in NY
      >Harbor on May 17th.
      >Married Susanna Prirvatska (marriage cert. says "Pitlak") from Virborce,
      >Hungary (?Nitra, Czech) on 9 Feb 1904. We think Susanna came to the US
      >in 1896 and worked in Chicago for a Jewish family until she married
      >John. According to our elderly aunt, John was a talented gymnast and
      >belonged to a Czech gymnastic team in Chicago. The team was called Tel
      >Janota Sokol Fugn. John's brother Mike emigrated several years after he
      >did and lived with him for a time. Also, in our grandma's obituary it
      >says she was a member of the Zidena Society. Can anyone tell me what
      >that is? We're looking for info that would lead us to John or Susanna's
      >parents. Or info about the Slovak Gymnastics team. Thank you so much
      >for any help you can give.
      >Sincerely,
      >Jan Umlauf

    • Alice Hodan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
        I saw your letter and I found your name familiar. I am also from Nitra.

        Alice

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Alice Hodan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
          Hi;

          It was the name that was familiar to me. I am originally from Nitra, I left in 1949. My maiden name was Roth, my late husband was Sano Herz, later Hodan.

          Regards

          Alice

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2003
            Dear Mr.Umlauf,
            In case you are considering any research in Vrbovce on Privratska/Pitlak; I am researching Vrbovce right now, and could also include you.
            You may want to write me directly to konekta@...
            Thanks,
            Vladimir Bohinc
            www.konekta.sk