UMLAUF/PRIRVATSKA (Pitlak)

  • Jan Umlauf
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      I just rec'd. copies of the obituaries for our Grandparents from the
      Hammond, IN library. It states that they were members of the National
      Slovak Society. They lived their lives in Hammond, IN (Robertsdale).
      Here is there information I obtained from John's petition for
      naturalization: John Umlauf Born 25 May 1880 in Yubrohlava, Hungary
      (Ostrava, Czech. I believe). Came to US in 1900 aboard the
      Deutschland--sailed out of Hamburg, Germany on May 1. Arrived in NY
      Harbor on May 17th.
      Married Susanna Prirvatska (marriage cert. says "Pitlak") from Virborce,
      Hungary (?Nitra, Czech) on 9 Feb 1904. We think Susanna came to the US
      in 1896 and worked in Chicago for a Jewish family until she married
      John. According to our elderly aunt, John was a talented gymnast and
      belonged to a Czech gymnastic team in Chicago. The team was called Tel
      Janota Sokol Fugn. John's brother Mike emigrated several years after he
      did and lived with him for a time. Also, in our grandma's obituary it
      says she was a member of the Zidena Society. Can anyone tell me what
      that is? We're looking for info that would lead us to John or Susanna's
      parents. Or info about the Slovak Gymnastics team. Thank you so much
      for any help you can give.
      Sincerely,
      Jan Umlauf