Re: [S-R] Name

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 2:01 PM
      At 01:28 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >Maybe you can help me, is Kerek a Slovak name? both my Mother and Father
      >came from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900,my father fought in the first
      >world war on the German side.

      If he fought on the Austrian side, it appears that he did not emigrate
      until after WWI. Of the 34 Kerek listings in the EIDB only one was after
      WWI and she was from Romania. Most were from Hungary but prior to 1919
      there was no Czechoslovakia. It was part of what we refer to as Upper Hungary.

      >People tell me it is an Hungarian name...Bob Kerek

      I tend to agree with Joan that it may be a derivation of a Hungarian
      surname. There are many Kerekes^ (pronounced Kerekesh) in the southeast
      Slovakia (Kosice (27), Roz^nava (28) phone listings).

      John M.
    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 7:54 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, rpkerek@a... wrote:
        > Maybe you can help me, is Kerek a Slovak name? both my Mother and
        Father came from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900,my father fought in
        the first world war on the German side.People tell me it is an
        Hungarian name...Bob Kerek

        Early 1900 ?
        WW I was fought August 1, 1914 to November 11, 1918 in Europe.

        Kerekes is a Hungarian surname.
        Probably 3,000 Kerekes surname bearers in Hungary.

        'kerekes' means wheeled (adj) in Magyar.
        kerékpár means a bicycle.

        There are surnames Kerekes in Slovakia.
        Expect their surname is spelled Kerekes^ there.
        Hungarian doesn't use the Slovak diacritic letter s^ = sh.
        Many emigrants changed names after arrival in America.
        Shortening a surname to Kerek would be typical.

        What did they speak ?

        How are you ? English

        Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

        Jak se máte ? Czech
      • eternallysealed8
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hello,
          If a mans name is Edward in english could there be a differewnt
          name in slovak or hungarian? Thanks Barb
        • William
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2014
            My surname has been spelled as "Brna" as far back as I can find. I
            have traced my father's family back to December, 1728 to the oldest
            son of parents named Rosa and Ondre Brna. I know nothing further
            about them, just their names. The name itself is found in the Urbar
            (1600, from Cernova), but I have been unable to trace a connection .
            The only variation that I have found is "Berna", which is the way that
            one of my uncles spelled it because a teacher told my cousin that one
            could not have three consonants in a row in English.

            William F. Brna