Re: [S-R] Name

  • Joan Hendershot
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 11:48 AM
      I tend to think it is a Hungarian name. I have many Kerekes in my database.
      Kerek could be a dirivative.

      Joan
    • Joan Hendershot
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 4:46 PM
        Most of the Kerekes I have were found in Moldava Nad Bodvou. A few in
        Ratka.

        Joan
      • elmerville2
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5 7:01 PM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Hendershot"
          <jhender3@r...> wrote:
          > Most of the Kerekes I have were found in Moldava Nad Bodvou. A
          few in
          > Ratka.
          >
          > Joan

          Joan,

          1930 Cuyahoga County,Ohio, Bedford Village Cenus lists
          Edward & Anna Kerekes with 8 kids Edward
          Jr.,Anna,Joseph,Mary.Margaret,William,Julius,Clara. In 1930 Edward
          was 51 and Anna was 43. I remember the Kerekes family, they were
          Slovak. Bunch today living in Kosice. Check the white page phone
          directory in Slovakia.
          If you want more info let me know.

          Paul Yurtinus
        • rpkerek@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6 9:24 AM
            Thank you everyone for all your information on the Kerek name.
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
              Absolutely yes.
              Take a look at this list http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt
              for possibilities. There is no "official" translation of many names. Often times, it's a matter of personal preference on what they choose to call themselves.
              Bill Tarkulich