Name

  • rpkerek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 10:28 AM
      Maybe you can help me, is Kerek a Slovak name? both my Mother and Father came from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900,my father fought in the first world war on the German side.People tell me it is an Hungarian name...Bob Kerek
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 2:01 PM
        At 01:28 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Maybe you can help me, is Kerek a Slovak name? both my Mother and Father
        >came from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900,my father fought in the first
        >world war on the German side.

        If he fought on the Austrian side, it appears that he did not emigrate
        until after WWI. Of the 34 Kerek listings in the EIDB only one was after
        WWI and she was from Romania. Most were from Hungary but prior to 1919
        there was no Czechoslovakia. It was part of what we refer to as Upper Hungary.

        >People tell me it is an Hungarian name...Bob Kerek

        I tend to agree with Joan that it may be a derivation of a Hungarian
        surname. There are many Kerekes^ (pronounced Kerekesh) in the southeast
        Slovakia (Kosice (27), Roz^nava (28) phone listings).

        John M.
      • Frank <frankur@att.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4 7:54 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, rpkerek@a... wrote:
          > Maybe you can help me, is Kerek a Slovak name? both my Mother and
          Father came from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900,my father fought in
          the first world war on the German side.People tell me it is an
          Hungarian name...Bob Kerek

          Early 1900 ?
          WW I was fought August 1, 1914 to November 11, 1918 in Europe.

          Kerekes is a Hungarian surname.
          Probably 3,000 Kerekes surname bearers in Hungary.

          'kerekes' means wheeled (adj) in Magyar.
          kerékpár means a bicycle.

          There are surnames Kerekes in Slovakia.
          Expect their surname is spelled Kerekes^ there.
          Hungarian doesn't use the Slovak diacritic letter s^ = sh.
          Many emigrants changed names after arrival in America.
          Shortening a surname to Kerek would be typical.

          What did they speak ?

          How are you ? English

          Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

          Jak se máte ? Czech
        • eternallysealed8
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
            Hello,
            If a mans name is Edward in english could there be a differewnt
            name in slovak or hungarian? Thanks Barb
          • William
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2014
              My surname has been spelled as "Brna" as far back as I can find. I
              have traced my father's family back to December, 1728 to the oldest
              son of parents named Rosa and Ondre Brna. I know nothing further
              about them, just their names. The name itself is found in the Urbar
              (1600, from Cernova), but I have been unable to trace a connection .
              The only variation that I have found is "Berna", which is the way that
              one of my uncles spelled it because a teacher told my cousin that one
              could not have three consonants in a row in English.

              William F. Brna