Re: [S-R] ? WANCHISEN-CHOBERKA from Korejovce (fwd)

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
      At 04:36 AM 3/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

      >Hello list members,
      > Please pass this onto your friend as we may be related. Thank you.
      >I am also researching the Chobirka surname. My husbands grandfather was
      >Russian Orthodox and was born about 1886. My husband knows the name of the
      >village or town, he came from, but I cannot spell it.

      Try spelling it phonetically, it might help locate the village.
      .
      >I have my husband's father's baptismal certificate and the grandfather's
      >name is spelled Yan or Jan Cobirka with the hacek over the C. My husband's
      >father's name was spelled Michal. I know the grandfathrt immigrated to the
      >states about 1909 or so and the grandmother and her son followed later. I
      >have not found the port of entry or ship yet. The grandfather married
      >a Anna Y or Juhason with the hacek over the Y or J.
      >Eleanor Chobirko at Ellemarie15642@...

      There is a Stefan Cobirko (Chobirko) arriving in Ellis Island in June, 1921
      going to his brother Michal on 59th st. in Cleveland. Stefan was in the US
      before. He is listed in 1909 as being in Eynan, PA. Stefan was from a
      town near Stropkov. There is one Cobirkova listed in Stropkov. There was
      also a Stefan Chobirka from what is now Mirola arriving in 1923. There are
      2 Ciborka listed in the SK phone directory for Mirola.

      John M.