Re: [S-R] ? WANCHISEN-CHOBERKA from Korejovce (fwd)

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
      At 09:33 AM 3/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hello to the SLOVAK-ROOTS list. I'm posting to help a friend.
      >
      >Her grandfather, Frank WANCHISEN or WANCHISSEN or VANCHISSEN, was born
      >1888 in Korejovce. May have been Russian Orthodox?

      I believe the Greek Catholic church records for Korejovce are with the
      Medvedie records. Medvedie is just a short distance north of
      Korejovce. Unfortunately, I could not find the church records for Medvedie
      at the FHL site:
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp Supposedly,
      the records for Korjovce, Krajna Porubka, and Sarbov are with the Medvedie
      church register. A place search on all the villages did not bring up any
      information.

      >Frank's parents were Andrew WANCHISSEN and Anna CHOBERKA.

      There are10 Vanc^is^in (pronounced Vanchishin) listed in Svidnik, which is
      about 6 miles to the southwest of Korejovce. I also found 3 C^obirka
      (pronounced Chobirka) in Svidnik.

      >I find no parish records for Korejovce at the familysearch.org website;
      >perhaps I'm not looking in the right place? Or the LDS Church has not
      >microfilmed those records? What (state or province) would Korejovce have
      >been in in 1888?

      It was in Saros county. I believe the LDS microfilmed the records in that
      area but when I checked this site for LDS microfilm
      numbers, http://carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm I couldn't find them there
      either. You n\may have to contact Salt Lake or perhaps Frank K or Bill T.
      may know.

      John M.
    • Eleanor Chobirko
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hello list members,
        Please pass this onto your friend as we may be related. Thank you.
        I am also researching the Chobirka surname. My husbands grandfather was Russian Orthodox and was born about 1886. My husband knows the name of the village or town, he came from, but I cannot spell it. I have my husband's father's baptismal certificate and the grandfather's name is spelled Yan or Jan Cobirka with the hacek over the C. My husband's father's name was spelled Michal. I know the grandfathrt immigrated to the states about 1909 or so and the grandmother and her son followed later. I have not found the port of entry or ship yet. The grandfather married a Anna Y or Juhason with the hacek over the Y or J.
        Eleanor Chobirko at Ellemarie15642@...
        "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 09:33 AM 3/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        >Hello to the SLOVAK-ROOTS list. I'm posting to help a friend.
        >
        >Her grandfather, Frank WANCHISEN or WANCHISSEN or VANCHISSEN, was born
        >1888 in Korejovce. May have been Russian Orthodox?

        I believe the Greek Catholic church records for Korejovce are with the
        Medvedie records. Medvedie is just a short distance north of
        Korejovce. Unfortunately, I could not find the church records for Medvedie
        at the FHL site:
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp Supposedly,
        the records for Korjovce, Krajna Porubka, and Sarbov are with the Medvedie
        church register. A place search on all the villages did not bring up any
        information.

        >Frank's parents were Andrew WANCHISSEN and Anna CHOBERKA.

        There are10 Vanc^is^in (pronounced Vanchishin) listed in Svidnik, which is
        about 6 miles to the southwest of Korejovce. I also found 3 C^obirka
        (pronounced Chobirka) in Svidnik.

        >I find no parish records for Korejovce at the familysearch.org website;
        >perhaps I'm not looking in the right place? Or the LDS Church has not
        >microfilmed those records? What (state or province) would Korejovce have
        >been in in 1888?

        It was in Saros county. I believe the LDS microfilmed the records in that
        area but when I checked this site for LDS microfilm
        numbers, http://carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm I couldn't find them there
        either. You n\may have to contact Salt Lake or perhaps Frank K or Bill T.
        may know.

        John M.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Dolly Ziegler
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
          THANKS to John M., Eleanor and Frank for their speedy replies to my
          friend's query. I've forwarded their information to her. (I have no
          expertise in Slovakian research or language -- so I can't assist her
          further.)

          What a great list this is! Knowledgeable people, willing to share their
          expertise!

          Cheers, Dolly
        • John M,
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
            At 04:36 AM 3/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

            >Hello list members,
            > Please pass this onto your friend as we may be related. Thank you.
            >I am also researching the Chobirka surname. My husbands grandfather was
            >Russian Orthodox and was born about 1886. My husband knows the name of the
            >village or town, he came from, but I cannot spell it.

            Try spelling it phonetically, it might help locate the village.
            .
            >I have my husband's father's baptismal certificate and the grandfather's
            >name is spelled Yan or Jan Cobirka with the hacek over the C. My husband's
            >father's name was spelled Michal. I know the grandfathrt immigrated to the
            >states about 1909 or so and the grandmother and her son followed later. I
            >have not found the port of entry or ship yet. The grandfather married
            >a Anna Y or Juhason with the hacek over the Y or J.
            >Eleanor Chobirko at Ellemarie15642@...

            There is a Stefan Cobirko (Chobirko) arriving in Ellis Island in June, 1921
            going to his brother Michal on 59th st. in Cleveland. Stefan was in the US
            before. He is listed in 1909 as being in Eynan, PA. Stefan was from a
            town near Stropkov. There is one Cobirkova listed in Stropkov. There was
            also a Stefan Chobirka from what is now Mirola arriving in 1923. There are
            2 Ciborka listed in the SK phone directory for Mirola.

            John M.