Re: In search of..Frantiska Zavradsky, Stefan Zavradska and Mary Zavacky

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, kevin zawrazk <zawrazky@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am looking for any information on Frantiska
      > Zavradsky, Stefan Zavradska and Mary Zavacky. The
      > spelling of the surname may not be correct, my
      > reference source is the Ellis Island documents. All 3
      > should have resided in Chicago, IL between 1920 and
      > 1925. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Kevin

      Kevin,

      Yes.
      Ellis Island Records listed 7 surnames Zavraczka and Zavradsky who
      emigrated to U.S. 1911-1922.
      Zavraczka is a Hungarian spelling of a name.
      The ship manifests are full of misspelled surnames.

      The actual spelling for all your 3 surnames may have been Zavradská or
      Zavracky or some such spelling ?

      Frantiska (Frances) went to her sister Zavacky at 2034 W.52nd Street
      in Chicago IL.
      She was born in Malacka, Malaczka (H) Malacky (Sk) which is located 20
      miles NNW of Bratislava.
      The 4 surnames listed under 1911 were also from Malacka.
      Gajary (Sk) Gajar (H) is also located near Bratislava.

      The LDS-Mormons have not filmed the parish church records for
      the Main Bratislava Archives as yet.
      You can write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta Bratislavy)
      to research your surname records.

      Are you are trying to connect these surnames to Zawrazk ?
      In Slovak and Hungarian the letter 'w' is used only in foreign
      words and letter 'v' is pron. v.
      In Polish the letter 'w' is pron. v.