Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
      In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      rmilliken@... writes:

      > Vranovske Dhle

      www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
      Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
      places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
      Noreen

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
        A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
        there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
        churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

        Ron Milliken

        nhasior@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > rmilliken@... writes:
        >

        > > Vranovske Dhle
        >
        > www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all
        > being
        > Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
        > places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
        > Noreen

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Ron Milliken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
          went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
          Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
          help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
          Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
          to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

          It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
          Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
          Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

          If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
          cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
          and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

          Ron Milliken

        • Frank <frankur@att.net>
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
            wrote:
            > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
            > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
            Vranovske
            > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
            most
            > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
            Topl'ou),
            > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
            wend
            > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
            >
            > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
            Dlhe,
            > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
            > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
            >
            > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
            find
            > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
            Catholics
            > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
            >
            > Ron Milliken

            Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
            C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

            According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
            From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
            have been separate once.

            Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
            Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
            Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

            Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
            Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

            Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
            reported.

            In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
            listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

            Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
            For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
            records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
            as a title.
            These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
            time period.
            These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
            general Z^ilina area.
            The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
            another large number of other communities located to the east.

            > mabensh wrote:
            >
            > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
            > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
            > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
            > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
            > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
            > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
            two
            > > different places?
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17