Introduction (and a question)

  • Debbe and Mira
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 1999
      Hi, I just joined the email list and I have a
      (hopefully) easy question.

      I always believed my paternal grandmother was born in
      Czechoslovakia. She died in 1926 (when my dad was 3),
      and when I got a copy of her death certificate, her
      birthplace was shown as Austria.

      On the 1920 census, her birthplace had been shown as
      Bohemia, but that was crossed out and Austria was
      written in. The strange thing was her language was
      shown as Polish (which my grandfather was), but I
      recall my dad saying he grew up speaking a mishmash of
      Polish and some other Slavic language.

      Unfortunately, all of the relatives on that side are
      gone now, so I'm wondering if Bohemia is considered
      Czech or Slovak? And why is Austria involved?

      My grandmother's surname probably was Mudrak (although
      her death certificate showed Mudiak), if that helps.

      Thanks for any advice!
      debbe

      =====
    • Jim Honeychuck
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
        Those are good basic questions. Your grandmother was born in what would
        later be Czechoslovakia. At that time it was part of the Austro-Hungarian
        Empire. People would write "Austria" for short. Bohemia was the name of
        the area which is now the western part of today's Czech Republic. It was
        once a kingdom, but never a country in the modern sense, so that's why the
        census shows a correction.

        She could well have been Polish. People moved around.

        Jim Honeychuck
        Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla

        > Hi, I just joined the email list and I have a
        > (hopefully) easy question.
        >
        > I always believed my paternal grandmother was born in
        > Czechoslovakia. She died in 1926 (when my dad was 3),
        > and when I got a copy of her death certificate, her
        > birthplace was shown as Austria.
        >
        > On the 1920 census, her birthplace had been shown as
        > Bohemia, but that was crossed out and Austria was
        > written in. The strange thing was her language was
        > shown as Polish (which my grandfather was), but I
        > recall my dad saying he grew up speaking a mishmash of
        > Polish and some other Slavic language.
        >
        > Unfortunately, all of the relatives on that side are
        > gone now, so I'm wondering if Bohemia is considered
        > Czech or Slovak? And why is Austria involved?
        >
        > My grandmother's surname probably was Mudrak (although
        > her death certificate showed Mudiak), if that helps.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice!
        > debbe
        >
        > =====

      • Joan Hendershot
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
          Hi Debbe & Mira:

          I grew up in the little mining town of Taylor, Pa. In the Phelps Patch
          section of Taylor. The lady who lived about 3 houses up from us was Mrs.
          Mudrak. She was ancient when I was a young girl and am sorry to say I know
          nothing about the family.

          If this is an area you are interested in, there are churches there that may
          give you a clue.

          Joan
        • PleaseNA@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
            Hi Debbe. I know that you received an answer to you question all ready. I
            just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. My grandparents came from
            Hungary. The 1920 census states Aust-Pol, and his death certificate says
            Czech. To top it all off the town he was born in (Munkacs) is now part of the
            Ukraine! What a mess <g>
            Good luck
            Karen G

            We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust our sails
            L.I.T.S.C.H.A.U.E.R.,K.R.A.I.C.S., G.A.L.V.A.N.O., B.A.R.T.O.L.O.M.E.O.,
            B.A.U.E.R., M.U.E.L.L.E.R.,.M.A.N.N.A.R.I.N.O., A.D.D.E.R.