Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
      It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
      are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
      Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
      Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

      I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
      and one Orthodox?

      Ron Milliken

      Frank wrote:

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
      > > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
      > get those films!
      > >
      > > Melissa
      >
      > And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
      > The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
      > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
      > Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
      > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
      >
      > film #
      > 1794326-1794330
      >
      > The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
      > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
      > Listed under Sedliská.
      > Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.
      >

      > film #
      > 1793681
      > 1793682
      >
      > Church Slavonic
      > http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
      > ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
      >
      > (only the film headers are in Slovak)
      > In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      > Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      > Sobás^ení = Marriages
      > Zomrelí = Deaths

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
        I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
        two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
        Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
        map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
        at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
        27" x 48" in size.

        Ron Milliken

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          rmilliken@... writes:

          > Vranovske Dhle

          www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
          Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
          places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
          Noreen

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
            there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
            churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

            Ron Milliken

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
              went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
              Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
              help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
              Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
              to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

              It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
              Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
              Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

              If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
              cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
              and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

              Ron Milliken

            • Frank <frankur@att.net>
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                wrote:
                > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                Vranovske
                > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                most
                > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                Topl'ou),
                > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                wend
                > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                >
                > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                Dlhe,
                > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                >
                > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                find
                > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                Catholics
                > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                >
                > Ron Milliken

                Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                have been separate once.

                Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                reported.

                In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                as a title.
                These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                time period.
                These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                general Z^ilina area.
                The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                another large number of other communities located to the east.

                > mabensh wrote:
                >
                > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                two
                > > different places?
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17