Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • MA Bensh
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
      Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

      Melissa

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
        It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
        are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
        Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
        Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

        I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
        and one Orthodox?

        Ron Milliken

        Frank wrote:

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
        > > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
        > get those films!
        > >
        > > Melissa
        >
        > And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
        > The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
        > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
        > Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
        > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
        >
        > film #
        > 1794326-1794330
        >
        > The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
        > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
        > Listed under Sedliská.
        > Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.
        >

        > film #
        > 1793681
        > 1793682
        >
        > Church Slavonic
        > http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
        > ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
        >
        > (only the film headers are in Slovak)
        > In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        > Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        > Sobás^ení = Marriages
        > Zomrelí = Deaths

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Ron Milliken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
          two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
          Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
          map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
          at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
          27" x 48" in size.

          Ron Milliken

        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            rmilliken@... writes:

            > Vranovske Dhle

            www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
            Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
            places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
            Noreen

          • Ron Milliken
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
              there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
              churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

              Ron Milliken

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                Ron Milliken

              • Frank <frankur@att.net>
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                  > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                  Vranovske
                  > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                  most
                  > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                  Topl'ou),
                  > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                  wend
                  > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                  >
                  > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                  Dlhe,
                  > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                  > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                  >
                  > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                  find
                  > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                  Catholics
                  > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                  >
                  > Ron Milliken

                  Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                  C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                  According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                  From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                  have been separate once.

                  Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                  Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                  Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                  Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                  Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                  Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                  reported.

                  In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                  listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                  Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                  For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                  records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                  as a title.
                  These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                  time period.
                  These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                  general Z^ilina area.
                  The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                  another large number of other communities located to the east.

                  > mabensh wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                  > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                  > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                  > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                  > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                  > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                  two
                  > > different places?
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17