Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
      get those films!

      > Melissa

      And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
      Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
      Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1794326-1794330

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
      Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
      Listed under Sedliská.
      Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.

      film #
      1793681
      1793682

      Church Slavonic
      http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
      ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

      (only the film headers are in Slovak)
      In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
        Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

        Melissa

      • Ron Milliken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
          are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
          Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
          Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

          I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
          and one Orthodox?

          Ron Milliken

          Frank wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
          > > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
          > get those films!
          > >
          > > Melissa
          >
          > And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
          > The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
          > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
          > Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
          > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
          >
          > film #
          > 1794326-1794330
          >
          > The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
          > Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
          > Listed under Sedliská.
          > Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.
          >

          > film #
          > 1793681
          > 1793682
          >
          > Church Slavonic
          > http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
          > ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
          >
          > (only the film headers are in Slovak)
          > In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
          > Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
          > Sobás^ení = Marriages
          > Zomrelí = Deaths

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
            two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
            Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
            map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
            at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
            27" x 48" in size.

            Ron Milliken

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              rmilliken@... writes:

              > Vranovske Dhle

              www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
              Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
              places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
              Noreen

            • Ron Milliken
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
                there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
                churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                Ron Milliken

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                  The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                  went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                  Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                  help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                  Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                  to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                  It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                  Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                  Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                  If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                  cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                  and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                  Ron Milliken

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                    > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                    Vranovske
                    > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                    most
                    > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                    Topl'ou),
                    > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                    wend
                    > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                    >
                    > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                    Dlhe,
                    > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                    > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                    >
                    > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                    find
                    > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                    Catholics
                    > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                    >
                    > Ron Milliken

                    Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                    C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                    According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                    From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                    have been separate once.

                    Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                    Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                    Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                    Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                    Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                    Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                    reported.

                    In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                    listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                    Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                    For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                    records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                    as a title.
                    These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                    time period.
                    These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                    general Z^ilina area.
                    The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                    another large number of other communities located to the east.

                    > mabensh wrote:
                    >
                    > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                    > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                    > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                    > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                    > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                    > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                    two
                    > > different places?
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17