Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
      Keep in mind that the Hungarian name for Vranov nad Topl'ou is Varanno,
      and the Hungarian name for Vranoske Dlhe is Varanno hoszumezo You may
      find a wealth of information on LDS microfilm 0720018, the 1869
      Hungarian Census for Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou) Zemplen, and microfilm
      0720019, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Varannohoszumezo (Vranoske Dlhe)
      Zemplen. These will show everyone living in each house, their
      relationships, year of birth, and occupation.

      Ron Milliken

    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
        get those films!

        > Melissa

        And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
        The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
        Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
        Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1794326-1794330

        The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
        Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
        Listed under Sedliská.
        Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.

        film #
        1793681
        1793682

        Church Slavonic
        http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
        ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

        (only the film headers are in Slovak)
        In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = Marriages
        Zomrelí = Deaths

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

          Melissa

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
            are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
            Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
            Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

            I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
            and one Orthodox?

            Ron Milliken

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
              two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
              Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
              map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
              at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
              27" x 48" in size.

              Ron Milliken

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                rmilliken@... writes:

                > Vranovske Dhle

                www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
                Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
                places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
                Noreen

              • Ron Milliken
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                  A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
                  there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
                  churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                  Ron Milliken

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                    The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                    went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                    Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                    help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                    Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                    to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                    It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                    Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                    Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                    If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                    cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                    and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                    Ron Milliken

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                      > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                      Vranovske
                      > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                      most
                      > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                      Topl'ou),
                      > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                      wend
                      > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                      >
                      > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                      Dlhe,
                      > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                      > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                      >
                      > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                      find
                      > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                      Catholics
                      > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                      >
                      > Ron Milliken

                      Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                      C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                      According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                      From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                      have been separate once.

                      Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                      Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                      Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                      Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                      Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                      Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                      reported.

                      In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                      listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                      Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                      For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                      records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                      as a title.
                      These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                      time period.
                      These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                      general Z^ilina area.
                      The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                      another large number of other communities located to the east.

                      > mabensh wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                      > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                      > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                      > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                      > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                      > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                      two
                      > > different places?
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17