Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • MA Bensh
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
      Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to get those films!

      Melissa

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
        Keep in mind that the Hungarian name for Vranov nad Topl'ou is Varanno,
        and the Hungarian name for Vranoske Dlhe is Varanno hoszumezo You may
        find a wealth of information on LDS microfilm 0720018, the 1869
        Hungarian Census for Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou) Zemplen, and microfilm
        0720019, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Varannohoszumezo (Vranoske Dlhe)
        Zemplen. These will show everyone living in each house, their
        relationships, year of birth, and occupation.

        Ron Milliken

      • Frank <frankur@att.net>
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
          get those films!

          > Melissa

          And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
          The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
          Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
          Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          film #
          1794326-1794330

          The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
          Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
          Listed under Sedliská.
          Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.

          film #
          1793681
          1793682

          Church Slavonic
          http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
          ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          (only the film headers are in Slovak)
          In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
          Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
          Sobás^ení = Marriages
          Zomrelí = Deaths

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

            Melissa

          • Ron Milliken
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
              are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
              Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
              Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

              I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
              and one Orthodox?

              Ron Milliken

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
                two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
                Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
                map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
                at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
                27" x 48" in size.

                Ron Milliken

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                  In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  rmilliken@... writes:

                  > Vranovske Dhle

                  www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
                  Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
                  places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
                  Noreen

                • Ron Milliken
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                    A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
                    there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
                    churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                    Ron Milliken

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                      The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                      went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                      Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                      help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                      Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                      to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                      It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                      Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                      Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                      If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                      cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                      and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                      Ron Milliken

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                        wrote:
                        > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                        > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                        Vranovske
                        > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                        most
                        > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                        Topl'ou),
                        > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                        wend
                        > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                        >
                        > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                        Dlhe,
                        > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                        > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                        >
                        > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                        find
                        > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                        Catholics
                        > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                        >
                        > Ron Milliken

                        Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                        C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                        According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                        From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                        have been separate once.

                        Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                        Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                        Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                        Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                        Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                        Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                        reported.

                        In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                        listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                        Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                        For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                        records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                        as a title.
                        These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                        time period.
                        These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                        general Z^ilina area.
                        The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                        another large number of other communities located to the east.

                        > mabensh wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                        > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                        > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                        > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                        > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                        > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                        two
                        > > different places?
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17