Re: [S-R] Ancestors from Sopron?

  • Gil K.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
      Hello Thomas Dick.
      The following information was found on the Ellis Island Records web site.
      This was the only listing for a Dombos from Sopron.

      Name: Dombos, Mihaly

      Ethnicity: Hungarian

      Place of Residence: Sopron

      Date of Arrival: February 03. 1902

      Age on Arrival: 31y

      Gender: M

      Martial Status: M

      Ship of Travel: Barcelona

      Point of Departure: Hamburg, Germany

      Good Luck on your research.

      Gil K.

      Thomas Dick <tad719@...> wrote:Hello,

      My mother's grandfather came to America in June of 1887 and went to Milnor, N Dakota (Sargent County).

      Andreas Dombos was born in 1856 according to his naturalization papers. Family stories say he was from Sopron, Hungary.

      He had a daughter, Rose, born in 1885 and a son Andrew born in 1886?

      He had a son after he came to America named Michael Joseph Dombos (My mother's father) and a daughter named Elizabeth.

      I am looking for any information on Andreas Dombos ancestry. Wife, parents, etc.

      This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family in the entire United States.

      Thank for your time

      Thomas Dick
      Kalamazoo, Michigan

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
        In a message dated 2/20/03 12:33:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        tad719@... writes:
        > This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family
        > in the entire United States.

        Thomas,
        Did you mean that you have only found one Dombos family which is related to
        you or only one other family with that name?
        i have found people with the surname Dombos in Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin,
        Michigan and North Carolina. did you know about these others.?
        My grandmother's family had a photograph taken in Hungary and the back of the
        photo had a studio name and the studio was in Sopron. So your post caught my
        eye with that subject line. i wondered what my family was doing so far away
        from Presov.
        Noreen

      • Thomas Dick
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
          I have a cousin in Texas named Richard. I have another cousin in Wisconsin named Steve. The ones in Ohio I think are related to my Great Uncle Andrew. I have a few cousins from Allegan Michigan that I don't know where they are now. The other family that I was referring to came from Mihaly Dombos who came to America in the early 1900's. We might be related but so far I can't make any connections. I don't know who might be in N Carolina unless it is one of the Allegan cousins.

          Sorry if I misled anyone. Thanks for the message, it's nice to hear that there may be more of us than I thought. If there is anything I can do for you or anyone else receiving this message, don't hesitate to ask.
          tad719@... writes:
          > This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family
          > in the entire United States.

          Thomas,
          Did you mean that you have only found one Dombos family which is related to
          you or only one other family with that name?
          i have found people with the surname Dombos in Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin,
          Michigan and North Carolina. did you know about these others.?
          My grandmother's family had a photograph taken in Hungary and the back of the
          photo had a studio name and the studio was in Sopron. So your post caught my
          eye with that subject line. i wondered what my family was doing so far away
          from Presov.
          Noreen

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor