Re: [S-R] Ancestors from Sopron?

  • Donna Lachney
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
      Hello Dick,
      I just went to the internet and put in Dombos and got
      back alot of information, but it looks as if it is all
      in Hungarian. Just go up to the search area and put
      only the name in and it will pull up alot of stuff.
      You could probably find people on this to translate.

      Goot Luck,
      Donna Lachney
      Gajdos, Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Majuricek

      --- Thomas Dick <tad719@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > My mother's grandfather came to America in June of
      > 1887 and went to Milnor, N Dakota (Sargent County).
      >
      > Andreas Dombos was born in 1856 according to his
      > naturalization papers. Family stories say he was
      > from Sopron, Hungary.
      >
      > He had a daughter, Rose, born in 1885 and a son
      > Andrew born in 1886?
      >
      > He had a son after he came to America named Michael
      > Joseph Dombos (My mother's father) and a daughter
      > named Elizabeth.
      >
      > I am looking for any information on Andreas Dombos
      > ancestry. Wife, parents, etc.
      >
      > This is not a common name in America as I have only
      > found one other family in the entire United States.
      >
      > Thank for your time
      >
      > Thomas Dick
      > Kalamazoo, Michigan

      > removed]

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Gil K.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
        Hello Thomas Dick.
        The following information was found on the Ellis Island Records web site.
        This was the only listing for a Dombos from Sopron.

        Name: Dombos, Mihaly

        Ethnicity: Hungarian

        Place of Residence: Sopron

        Date of Arrival: February 03. 1902

        Age on Arrival: 31y

        Gender: M

        Martial Status: M

        Ship of Travel: Barcelona

        Point of Departure: Hamburg, Germany

        Good Luck on your research.

        Gil K.

        Thomas Dick <tad719@...> wrote:Hello,

        My mother's grandfather came to America in June of 1887 and went to Milnor, N Dakota (Sargent County).

        Andreas Dombos was born in 1856 according to his naturalization papers. Family stories say he was from Sopron, Hungary.

        He had a daughter, Rose, born in 1885 and a son Andrew born in 1886?

        He had a son after he came to America named Michael Joseph Dombos (My mother's father) and a daughter named Elizabeth.

        I am looking for any information on Andreas Dombos ancestry. Wife, parents, etc.

        This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family in the entire United States.

        Thank for your time

        Thomas Dick
        Kalamazoo, Michigan

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
          In a message dated 2/20/03 12:33:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          tad719@... writes:
          > This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family
          > in the entire United States.

          Thomas,
          Did you mean that you have only found one Dombos family which is related to
          you or only one other family with that name?
          i have found people with the surname Dombos in Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin,
          Michigan and North Carolina. did you know about these others.?
          My grandmother's family had a photograph taken in Hungary and the back of the
          photo had a studio name and the studio was in Sopron. So your post caught my
          eye with that subject line. i wondered what my family was doing so far away
          from Presov.
          Noreen

        • Thomas Dick
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2003
            I have a cousin in Texas named Richard. I have another cousin in Wisconsin named Steve. The ones in Ohio I think are related to my Great Uncle Andrew. I have a few cousins from Allegan Michigan that I don't know where they are now. The other family that I was referring to came from Mihaly Dombos who came to America in the early 1900's. We might be related but so far I can't make any connections. I don't know who might be in N Carolina unless it is one of the Allegan cousins.

            Sorry if I misled anyone. Thanks for the message, it's nice to hear that there may be more of us than I thought. If there is anything I can do for you or anyone else receiving this message, don't hesitate to ask.
            tad719@... writes:
            > This is not a common name in America as I have only found one other family
            > in the entire United States.

            Thomas,
            Did you mean that you have only found one Dombos family which is related to
            you or only one other family with that name?
            i have found people with the surname Dombos in Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin,
            Michigan and North Carolina. did you know about these others.?
            My grandmother's family had a photograph taken in Hungary and the back of the
            photo had a studio name and the studio was in Sopron. So your post caught my
            eye with that subject line. i wondered what my family was doing so far away
            from Presov.
            Noreen

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor