Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
      Also, you can look for your grandmother's family name in microfilmed
      church records from Vranov nad Topl'ou. You can view them at your
      nearest LDS Family History Center. Microfilm numbers: Greek Catholic:
      1792039 items 5-6, 1792020 items 1-4. Roman Catholic: 1794326 items
      2-5 thru 1794330.

      Ron Milliken

      mabensh wrote:

      > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
      > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
      > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
      > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
      > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
      > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there two
      > different places?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • MA Bensh
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
        Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to get those films!

        Melissa

      • Ron Milliken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
          Keep in mind that the Hungarian name for Vranov nad Topl'ou is Varanno,
          and the Hungarian name for Vranoske Dlhe is Varanno hoszumezo You may
          find a wealth of information on LDS microfilm 0720018, the 1869
          Hungarian Census for Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou) Zemplen, and microfilm
          0720019, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Varannohoszumezo (Vranoske Dlhe)
          Zemplen. These will show everyone living in each house, their
          relationships, year of birth, and occupation.

          Ron Milliken

        • Frank <frankur@att.net>
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
            get those films!

            > Melissa

            And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
            The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
            Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
            Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            film #
            1794326-1794330

            The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
            Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
            Listed under Sedliská.
            Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.

            film #
            1793681
            1793682

            Church Slavonic
            http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
            ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

            (only the film headers are in Slovak)
            In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
            Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
            Sobás^ení = Marriages
            Zomrelí = Deaths

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

              Melissa

            • Ron Milliken
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
                are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
                Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
                Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

                I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
                and one Orthodox?

                Ron Milliken

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                  I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
                  two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
                  Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
                  map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
                  at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
                  27" x 48" in size.

                  Ron Milliken

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    rmilliken@... writes:

                    > Vranovske Dhle

                    www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
                    Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
                    places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
                    Noreen

                  • Ron Milliken
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                      A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
                      there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
                      churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                      Ron Milliken

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                        The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                        went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                        Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                        help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                        Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                        to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                        It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                        Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                        Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                        If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                        cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                        and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                        Ron Milliken

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                          wrote:
                          > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                          > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                          Vranovske
                          > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                          most
                          > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                          Topl'ou),
                          > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                          wend
                          > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                          >
                          > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                          Dlhe,
                          > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                          > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                          >
                          > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                          find
                          > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                          Catholics
                          > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                          >
                          > Ron Milliken

                          Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                          C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                          According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                          From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                          have been separate once.

                          Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                          Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                          Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                          Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                          Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                          Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                          reported.

                          In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                          listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                          Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                          For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                          records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                          as a title.
                          These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                          time period.
                          These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                          general Z^ilina area.
                          The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                          another large number of other communities located to the east.

                          > mabensh wrote:
                          >
                          > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                          > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                          > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                          > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                          > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                          > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                          two
                          > > different places?
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17