Re: [S-R] two vranovs?

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
      Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov nad Topl'ou are in Zemplen, west of Humenne,
      on the Topl'a river. Vranovski Dlhe is a suburb on the southeast end of
      Vranov nad Topl'ou. There are train stops at both places, four minutes
      apart. I have also seen this town just called Vranov on a historical
      map os Slovakia. My grandma was born in Humenne.

      Ron Milliken

      mabensh wrote:

      > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
      > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
      > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
      > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
      > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
      > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there two
      > different places?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
        Also, you can look for your grandmother's family name in microfilmed
        church records from Vranov nad Topl'ou. You can view them at your
        nearest LDS Family History Center. Microfilm numbers: Greek Catholic:
        1792039 items 5-6, 1792020 items 1-4. Roman Catholic: 1794326 items
        2-5 thru 1794330.

        Ron Milliken

        mabensh wrote:

        > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
        > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
        > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
        > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
        > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
        > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there two
        > different places?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • MA Bensh
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
          Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to get those films!

          Melissa

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
            Keep in mind that the Hungarian name for Vranov nad Topl'ou is Varanno,
            and the Hungarian name for Vranoske Dlhe is Varanno hoszumezo You may
            find a wealth of information on LDS microfilm 0720018, the 1869
            Hungarian Census for Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou) Zemplen, and microfilm
            0720019, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Varannohoszumezo (Vranoske Dlhe)
            Zemplen. These will show everyone living in each house, their
            relationships, year of birth, and occupation.

            Ron Milliken

          • Frank <frankur@att.net>
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks Ron for the info on Vranov. I will get in touch with LDS to
              get those films!

              > Melissa

              And if not in 1869 Hungarian Census.
              The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1687-1895)
              Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
              Listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou.
              Text in Latin and Hungarian.

              film #
              1794326-1794330

              The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1801-1899) for
              Vranov nad Topl'ou and Vranovské Dlhé, Slovakia.
              Listed under Sedliská.
              Text in Church Slavonic, Latin, and Hungarian.

              film #
              1793681
              1793682

              Church Slavonic
              http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:YXTKwloymQoC:www.omniglot.com/wri
              ting/ocslavonic.htm+Church+Slavonic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

              (only the film headers are in Slovak)
              In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
              Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
              Sobás^ení = Marriages
              Zomrelí = Deaths

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                Frank - Thanks for the info too. I'll add those film #s to the request!

                Melissa

              • Ron Milliken
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                  It is interesting that the Greek Catholic records for Vranov nad Topl'ou
                  are listed under the parochial offices for two nearby villages:
                  Cemerne - 1819-1895, films 1792039 and 1792020
                  Sedliska - 1801-1899 films 1793681-1793682

                  I wonder why. Were there two Greek Catholic Churches there, one Uniate
                  and one Orthodox?

                  Ron Milliken

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                    I found a map showing Vranov (Vranov nad Topl'ou) and Vranovske Dlhe as
                    two separate villages. Vranovske Dlhe is about 2 miles southeast of
                    Vranov. The map also shows nearby villages Cemerne and Sedliska. The
                    map of Slovakia (scale 1:360,000) is published by the Slovak Institute
                    at St. Andrew's Abby, 2900 M. L. King Drive, Cleveland, OH 44104. It is
                    27" x 48" in size.

                    Ron Milliken

                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                      In a message dated 2/23/03 11:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      rmilliken@... writes:

                      > Vranovske Dhle

                      www.calle.com has Vranov, Vranovske Dlhe and Vranov Nad Top~ou as all being
                      Latitude 48N and Longitude 21E with minor changes for each of the three
                      places in Altitude. I would think that they are very close indeed.
                      Noreen

                    • Ron Milliken
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                        A 1996 map shows Vranovske Dlhe as just "Dlha", and it shows a church
                        there. Vranovke Dlhe may have had its own church, separate from the
                        churches in Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                        Ron Milliken

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003
                          The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                          went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in Vranovske
                          Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the most
                          help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad Topl'ou),
                          Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans wend
                          to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.

                          It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske Dlhe,
                          Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                          Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.

                          If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may find
                          cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman Catholics
                          and Greek Catholics were fairly common.

                          Ron Milliken

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 24, 2003
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
                            wrote:
                            > The 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary tells where the people of each village
                            > went to church. Since you said your grandmother was born in
                            Vranovske
                            > Dlhe, the entry for Varanno Hosszumezo (Vranovske Dlhe) will be the
                            most
                            > help: Roman Catholics went to church in Varanno (Vranov nad
                            Topl'ou),
                            > Greek Catholics went to church in Szedliszka (Sedliska), Lutherans
                            wend
                            > to church in Kladzany, and Jews wend to synagogue in Varanno.
                            >
                            > It is interesting that in Varanno, only two miles from Vranovske
                            Dlhe,
                            > Greek Catholics went to church in Csemernye-Varanno (Cemerne), and
                            > Lutherans went to church in Mernyik.
                            >
                            > If your grandmother was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic, you may
                            find
                            > cousins also in the other church, as marriages between Roman
                            Catholics
                            > and Greek Catholics were fairly common.
                            >
                            > Ron Milliken

                            Physically (administratively) today, Vranov, Vranovské Delhé, and
                            C^emrné are part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.

                            According to Slovakia Autoatlas , Vranov nad Topl'ou has 5 churches.
                            From its location the church at Vranovské Delhé looks like it could
                            have been separate once.

                            Hencovce is located just east of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                            Today, Hencovce is also part of Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                            Its G.C. records are also listed under Sedliská.

                            Sedliská was part of okres (district) Vranov nad Topl'ou.
                            Its church is located NE beyond Vranov nad Delhé.

                            Then there was the question of possible 'mixed marriages' as you
                            reported.

                            In Slovakia, Jewish records (whether community or synagogue) were
                            listed under a larger R.C. entity (church)

                            Catholic churches kept copies of Jewish records.
                            For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
                            records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
                            as a title.
                            These records start in 1787 and go through 1935, an unusually long
                            time period.
                            These records covered over 45 settlements located in the
                            general Z^ilina area.
                            The R.C. church in Z^ilina kept the Jewish records for Z^ilina and
                            another large number of other communities located to the east.

                            > mabensh wrote:
                            >
                            > > I am getting conflicting info from various sources. I am hoping
                            > > someone here can help clarify it. My grandmother was born in
                            > > Vranovske Dhle. One source told me this was near Bratislavia by
                            > > Hungarian and Polish borders. Another source has informed me that
                            > > the name was now Vranov Nad Toplou which is by Ukraine. I could
                            > > swear I had looked at a map showing it by Bratislavia. Are there
                            two
                            > > different places?
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17