Re: [S-R] Hazin, Slovakia

  • Maureen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
      One additional idea...

      You may not be eager to get out of Kosice! It is a beautiful and friendly city -- a true undiscovered treasure!

      Maureen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
        Hi,
        Last summer I flew to Frankfurt, rented a car and drove to Spisska Nova Ves
        without a hitch. It was a grand drove, we visited sights in Germany & went
        to Prague, then to Bratislava and Spisska. We spent 5 days in the area
        visiting relatives (for the 1st time) and local sights.
        I had no problems at all driving, the people are very friendly & helpful. I
        speak no Slovak, and little German, but this did not prevent us from having
        a really grand & interesting trip!

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
          Maureen is right about Kosice.
          But it is better to walk through the main town.
          You will miss too much driving.

        • Maureen
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
            Yes, I agree with that. I have been racking my brain, trying to remember the hotel we stayed in. I want to say it was named "Slovan" -- can that be? Great location, reasonable -- as they all are in Slovakia -- and excellent rooms.
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
              That is an excellent idea about renting a car in Slovakia. When we
              visited Slovakia for two weeks, we rented a car in Germany (a brand new
              Opel Vectra), and we attracted way too much attention everywhere we went
              in eastern Slovakia. I vowed that next time I would rent an old beater
              in Slovakia.

              We had planned to visit Kosice for a day or two, but as we were driving
              in from the west we saw many large factories spewing huge amounts of
              smoke. My wife is asthmatic, and cannot handle even small amounts of
              smoke. So with the lax pollution controls in eastern Europe, we drive
              right past Kosice and stayed in Presov. If it wasn't for the asthma,
              I'm sure we would have enjoyed Kosice very much. We visited Bratislava,
              Presov, Trebisov, and Humenne, but we enjoyed the tiny villages in
              extreme northeastern Slovakia the most, up in Carpatho-Rus.

              If you don't know Slovak, it may be advisable to hire an interpreter in
              Slovakia who can go with you when you visit relatives. We found nobody
              who spoke English at the places we visited. If you will be doing
              research, it would help to have an interpreter to help gain access to
              the records you seek in town and district offices, and church offices.

              Of course, none of this is necessary ... I'm sure you will have a great
              time no matter what you decide.

              Ron Milliken

              moparvince@... wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > Your best bet is to get a connecting flight to Kosice, Slovakia
              > and arrange to get a rental car. The highway system in Slovakia
              > is very good and there are plenty of gas stations. The only problem
              > I had was getting out of Kosice since it is the second largest
              > city in Slovakia. But I have the same driving experience in the United
              > States as well. Eastern Slovakia is less densely populated than most
              > European countries so driving around the countryside was a breeze for
              > me. Still driving in Europe as well as Slovakia is a challenge do to the
              > language barrier. Good luck.
              >
              > Sincerely
              > Vince Kondracki

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2895241.4313951.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • Bernardine Weigand
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
                Yes, walking is the way to do it. Also, stroll down all the side streets. There are many interesting shops and little restaurants. Seeing Kosice at night is also a must. The lighted dancing fountains , located near St. Eliz. Cathedral, are lovely.

                Bernardine

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2003
                  Hotel Slovan is where we stayed. You're right. The location is excellent. Everything is in walking distance.