Re: [S-R] Kocur Poland?

  • jim gally
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2003
      patricia,
      were your gavel family from pittsburgh pennsylvania?
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2003
        Do you have a scan of the written town name you could post or send?

        Joe

        ******

        > I have traced my Gavel/Gawel family to Lesnica, Sovakia then to
        Kroseienko,Poland. In 1841 census they list their originating city as Kocur
        or Kouir Poland. Is anyone familiar with this town? Thanks very much,
        Patricia
      • patricia gavel
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2003
          Yes, they are in Pittsburgh. Why?
          jim gally <jgsg@...> wrote:patricia,

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, patricia gavel <pgsister@y...>
            wrote:

            > Yes, they are in Pittsburgh. Why?
            > jim gally <jgsg@e...> wrote:patricia,
            > were your gavel family from pittsburgh pennsylvania?

            I believe place name Kroseienko was misread, i.e. se = sc.
            There are 2 place names Kroscienko located in Poland.

            Kroscienko nad Dunajcem is located 196 miles south of Warszawa and
            just over the Slovakia border in Poland.
            It is located about 4 miles SE of Lesnica (Sk) Erdo"s (H), Slovakia.

            Kocur is a surname found in Poland.

            343 surnames Gawel and 24 surnames Gavel emigrated to U.S. via
            Ellis Island (NYC) 1892-1924.

            Gawel is a Polish surname.
            Gavel is a Slovak surname.

            Some surnames were derived from first names.
            Paul (E) (G)
            Pawel (P)
            Pál (H)
            Pavel (Cz)
            Pavol (Sk)

            Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
            Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
            including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold
            to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/