RE: [S-R] Re: How do I get more information?

  • Sharon Hronsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2003
      Hello everyone,

      Yes this the Zavadka that is near Pohorela on the Hron river and I have mentioned this town on this site before.

      Adolf and Vojtech's surname's were GUTTMANN however in 1941 Vojtech changed it to HRONSKY to avoid the Jewish Connotation even though he was not Jewish.

      Mirco was supposed to have been named Miroslav but some how Mirco was put on the birth certificate.

      The time frame in question is: Adolf was born around 1856 and died around 1928. Ondrej was born around 1870 and died around 1938.

      Sharon Hronsky
      "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)" <JArmata@...> wrote:This must be the Zavadka that's near Pohorela in central Slovakia, in the
      Hron river valley. The villages there are famed for their vibrant folklore,
      still preserved today. I was in Zavadka in the early 1980s, and the older
      women were still wearing at least parts of their folk costumes every day,
      especially the embroidered married women's caps.

      Joe

      > Hello
      >
      > I am tracing my husbands family tree. His father Mirko was born in
      Pohorela ( which is where Mirko's mother is from) but his grandfather
      was born in Zavadka. His grandfather was Vojtech and Vojtech's father
      was Adolf.

      > My question is how do I find out where Vojtech was born or died.
      The only person I can ask is Mirko and he doesn't know.

      > I presume that I would need to go to a LDS family search centre and
      look at microfilm. But how do I know which films I need to look at??

      > Thanking you in advanced
      >
      > Sharon Hronsky

      ahoj

      Which Za'vadka ?
      Believe we had this place name query recently ?
      There are 4 Za'dvadka located in Slovakia.

    • Peter Pikna
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2003
        Sharon,
        During WW II was in Slovakia a movement (initiative) to change names with
        German or Hungarian origin to names with Slovak origin. It was not depend on
        religion or ethnic origin. Many of the people changed the names by near
        rivers, mountains, villages, etc.
        Peter