Re: [S-R] Maczko, Macko, Orendas

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
      At 07:05 PM 2/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas
      >was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was
      >Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like
      >Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in
      >Margecany.
      >Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b.
      >1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield
      >New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

      This may not be of any help.The EIDB has a John Maczko, 47, 283 Main Ave.,
      Passaic NY (?), arriving in 1922. If the age is correct, his birth year
      would be 1875. They made a mistake in putting Passaic in NY. If they read
      41 as 47 then that would put his birth date at 1881. This John was
      naturalized on 3/30/1911 in Passaic. 283 Main Ave. appears to be about 2
      miles from the Market St. address. Did they also live at that Market St.
      address? If it was the John you were interested in, passport
      information, if available, might tell you where he visited although it
      would probably not show the town. Since he was a citizen, the manifest did
      not give any information on where he was coming from. I don't know if the
      passenger list would give additional information.

      The Macko name, as you have said, is pretty common in Slovakia. Maczko is
      also used. The Orendas name is far less common. I tried some of the major
      cities and only found three in Kosice beside the two villages I mentioned
      in the last post. If you had some other source of information such as
      naturalization papers, death certificates, church records in Passiac, etc,
      they might help you identify the villages.

      I believe the GC church registers for Sec^ovska Polianka are with the Cabov
      records and the RC register films are with the Parchovany records. The
      Sec^ovce records are RC and Evangelical and should be with the Sec^ovce
      church records. To find the FHC film numbers got to
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and do a
      Place Search on Cabov, Parchovany and Secovce. It is likely that one of
      them was Greek Catholic and it appears more likely she was since he did
      have a middle name. That would lead me to believe she was from Sec^ovska
      Polianka, if we have the correct town, because there are GC church records
      (and RC also) for that village and although there are no Macko/Maczko in
      the village now, there may have been at that time. Good luck.

      John M.

    • Doris W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2003
        For those of you in the Passiac area, does anyone have any connection to
        Zsoldos or Bandzej (Baudzj/Baudrej) families? My great-grandfather married
        Anna Zsoldos from Passaic. I think Zsoldos was her maiden name, but I'm not
        sure about that. She had three daughters, Mary, Susan & Anna. There may
        have also been a son, Andrew.

        The marriage record at Holy Trinity Church in Pottstown, PA (which is where
        Anna & my great-grandfather married) for Mary said she was the daughter of
        John Baudrej & Anna Zolslos. I find it interesting how the spelling of a
        name changes with each entry.

        I'm wondering when John Baudrej (sp??) died and when the children were
        born. Mary's death certificate said that her maiden name was Bodnar and
        that Michael Bodnar was her father. They same information is on Andrew's
        death certificate. I wonder if people just took the name of adults they
        lived with if their birth father was no longer living. Any ideas?

        TIA

        Doris