Re: [S-R] Maczko, Macko, Orendas

  • Alyssa Eppich
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
      John,
      I should add that although little Emil was buried in a GC cemetery in this country, both John Emil and Mary are buried in the cemetery of St.Mary's Slovak Catholic Church. The church is in Passaic NJ and the cemetery is in Saddle Brook NJ.
      Alyssa
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
        At 07:05 PM 2/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas
        >was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was
        >Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like
        >Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in
        >Margecany.
        >Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b.
        >1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield
        >New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

        This may not be of any help.The EIDB has a John Maczko, 47, 283 Main Ave.,
        Passaic NY (?), arriving in 1922. If the age is correct, his birth year
        would be 1875. They made a mistake in putting Passaic in NY. If they read
        41 as 47 then that would put his birth date at 1881. This John was
        naturalized on 3/30/1911 in Passaic. 283 Main Ave. appears to be about 2
        miles from the Market St. address. Did they also live at that Market St.
        address? If it was the John you were interested in, passport
        information, if available, might tell you where he visited although it
        would probably not show the town. Since he was a citizen, the manifest did
        not give any information on where he was coming from. I don't know if the
        passenger list would give additional information.

        The Macko name, as you have said, is pretty common in Slovakia. Maczko is
        also used. The Orendas name is far less common. I tried some of the major
        cities and only found three in Kosice beside the two villages I mentioned
        in the last post. If you had some other source of information such as
        naturalization papers, death certificates, church records in Passiac, etc,
        they might help you identify the villages.

        I believe the GC church registers for Sec^ovska Polianka are with the Cabov
        records and the RC register films are with the Parchovany records. The
        Sec^ovce records are RC and Evangelical and should be with the Sec^ovce
        church records. To find the FHC film numbers got to
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and do a
        Place Search on Cabov, Parchovany and Secovce. It is likely that one of
        them was Greek Catholic and it appears more likely she was since he did
        have a middle name. That would lead me to believe she was from Sec^ovska
        Polianka, if we have the correct town, because there are GC church records
        (and RC also) for that village and although there are no Macko/Maczko in
        the village now, there may have been at that time. Good luck.

        John M.

      • Doris W.
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2003
          For those of you in the Passiac area, does anyone have any connection to
          Zsoldos or Bandzej (Baudzj/Baudrej) families? My great-grandfather married
          Anna Zsoldos from Passaic. I think Zsoldos was her maiden name, but I'm not
          sure about that. She had three daughters, Mary, Susan & Anna. There may
          have also been a son, Andrew.

          The marriage record at Holy Trinity Church in Pottstown, PA (which is where
          Anna & my great-grandfather married) for Mary said she was the daughter of
          John Baudrej & Anna Zolslos. I find it interesting how the spelling of a
          name changes with each entry.

          I'm wondering when John Baudrej (sp??) died and when the children were
          born. Mary's death certificate said that her maiden name was Bodnar and
          that Michael Bodnar was her father. They same information is on Andrew's
          death certificate. I wonder if people just took the name of adults they
          lived with if their birth father was no longer living. Any ideas?

          TIA

          Doris