Re: [S-R] Maczko, Macko, Orendas

  • Alyssa Eppich
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
      John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in Margecany.
      Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b. 1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
        John,
        I should add that although little Emil was buried in a GC cemetery in this country, both John Emil and Mary are buried in the cemetery of St.Mary's Slovak Catholic Church. The church is in Passaic NJ and the cemetery is in Saddle Brook NJ.
        Alyssa

      • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
          Do you have an idea when your relatives came through Ellis Island and
          have you checked spelling variations of their names through the site?
          What was John Emil's wife's maiden name?

          At that time period, much of the area between Market Street and Third
          St was Slavic/Rusyn with a Jewish section along Passaic Street. Many
          Slovaks went to St Michael's - partly because people there spoke a
          language they knew. A little later in time it would have been St
          Peter & Paul's RO on Monroe St, I believe, just past Market.

          Yes, there is a strong likelihood your grandmother was GC if the baby
          is in St Peter's. My paternal grandparents and others are there.

          Have you tried asking the Passaic Vital Statistics for a copy of the
          baby's birth certificate ($10)? It might supply another set of
          spelling variations, so don't be surprised. I was born in Passaic.
          When I sought to obtain records from the period you identify, I found
          many are missing as midwives sometimes "forgot" to register the
          births. A fallback would be to write to the state but they now seek
          proof of a relationship to the party you are seeking. Sigh....

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@a...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Service.

        • John M,
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
            At 07:05 PM 2/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas
            >was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was
            >Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like
            >Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in
            >Margecany.
            >Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b.
            >1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield
            >New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

            This may not be of any help.The EIDB has a John Maczko, 47, 283 Main Ave.,
            Passaic NY (?), arriving in 1922. If the age is correct, his birth year
            would be 1875. They made a mistake in putting Passaic in NY. If they read
            41 as 47 then that would put his birth date at 1881. This John was
            naturalized on 3/30/1911 in Passaic. 283 Main Ave. appears to be about 2
            miles from the Market St. address. Did they also live at that Market St.
            address? If it was the John you were interested in, passport
            information, if available, might tell you where he visited although it
            would probably not show the town. Since he was a citizen, the manifest did
            not give any information on where he was coming from. I don't know if the
            passenger list would give additional information.

            The Macko name, as you have said, is pretty common in Slovakia. Maczko is
            also used. The Orendas name is far less common. I tried some of the major
            cities and only found three in Kosice beside the two villages I mentioned
            in the last post. If you had some other source of information such as
            naturalization papers, death certificates, church records in Passiac, etc,
            they might help you identify the villages.

            I believe the GC church registers for Sec^ovska Polianka are with the Cabov
            records and the RC register films are with the Parchovany records. The
            Sec^ovce records are RC and Evangelical and should be with the Sec^ovce
            church records. To find the FHC film numbers got to
            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and do a
            Place Search on Cabov, Parchovany and Secovce. It is likely that one of
            them was Greek Catholic and it appears more likely she was since he did
            have a middle name. That would lead me to believe she was from Sec^ovska
            Polianka, if we have the correct town, because there are GC church records
            (and RC also) for that village and although there are no Macko/Maczko in
            the village now, there may have been at that time. Good luck.

            John M.

          • Doris W.
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2003
              For those of you in the Passiac area, does anyone have any connection to
              Zsoldos or Bandzej (Baudzj/Baudrej) families? My great-grandfather married
              Anna Zsoldos from Passaic. I think Zsoldos was her maiden name, but I'm not
              sure about that. She had three daughters, Mary, Susan & Anna. There may
              have also been a son, Andrew.

              The marriage record at Holy Trinity Church in Pottstown, PA (which is where
              Anna & my great-grandfather married) for Mary said she was the daughter of
              John Baudrej & Anna Zolslos. I find it interesting how the spelling of a
              name changes with each entry.

              I'm wondering when John Baudrej (sp??) died and when the children were
              born. Mary's death certificate said that her maiden name was Bodnar and
              that Michael Bodnar was her father. They same information is on Andrew's
              death certificate. I wonder if people just took the name of adults they
              lived with if their birth father was no longer living. Any ideas?

              TIA

              Doris