D. before names in RC records

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 1999
      Yesterday I saw something I have not before, and I hope someone may be
      able to explain it...

      Working with the RCath records film of Zboro Saros to find my Nechasek's
      I found the letter D. before all of the names of the persons listed in
      both the marriage record and birth record of the child. This was for
      sponsors also. And the fancy baptismal record of the baby that my cousin
      originally sent to me has it also.

      Yet no other families in the records have this, and I've not seen it
      before in the Sabinov records that I can remember.

      Here is what I mean.....

      marriage record 24 Apr 1860

      D. Josephus Neczasek
      orphanum
      D. Beatriz Mettischek
      D. Franciscus Mettischek
      D. Juliana Vendg
      Posur (sp?) D. Comits S_d__ly
      Civiilus Romana Catholic

      Ok, so that's the groom (who was orphaned by this time) bride, her
      parents and maybe the priest. Why the D. in front?

      same thing with baptismal record of 1865 of the baby Joseph.....

      Parents lists as
      D. Josephus Necasek
      D. Beatris Mettishek
      sponsors
      D. Joannus Penger (?)
      D. Anna Petruss

      Anyone have an idea? Can't find any reference to just a D. in my Latin
      genealogy book.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
        One possibility: Could the D. stand for Dominus/a (Lord/Lady)? Is
        there anything in the record that might make you think these people
        were prominent - maybe the notation is larger than normal or uses
        fancier capitals? You mentioned your cousin getting a "fancy
        baptismal record"; do you mean the original record was ornate in
        some way, which would suggest these were gentry? But if you know the
        names of the local gentry, this might not pan out. Just a thought!

        Joe Armata
        joe@...
      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
          Hi Joe,

          That thought occured to me, but I don't think so, altho the Joseph
          Neczasek who was the father of the Joseph in the records was supposed to
          have been a doctor according to family story written down in Sabinov
          later.

          But that wouldn't explain the D. in front of everyone's name......
          especially the bride who was only 16.

          I also thought of "deceased" but that of course made no sense for the
          living couple.

          I guess I just need to keep digging!

        • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 1999
            Another thought on the D before the name--perhaps it represents some form of
            a prayer, with D being short for Deus. The Irish nuns always put a cross on
            the top of everything they wrote--letters, etc. Since a cross in the church
            records of Slovakia usually indicated that the baby had died, perhaps the D
            is a prayer? Just a thought. Caroline