Maczko, Macko, Orendas

  • eppicha <eppicha@attbi.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
      I am looking for information regarding John Emil Maczko born approx
      1881-d approx 1951 somewhere in Slovakia married Mary Orendas b.
      approx 1880 d 1934. They emigrated to Passaic New Jersey where they
      had a grocery store at 230 Market St. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated. I do have photos that could be uploaded, if anyone
      thinks that would help. Many thanks!
      Alyssa
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
        At 09:34 PM 2/8/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >I am looking for information regarding John Emil Maczko born approx
        >1881-d approx 1951 somewhere in Slovakia married Mary Orendas b.
        >approx 1880 d 1934.

        I noticed there were a few Orendas in the EIDB from Szecspolyanka, which is
        now Sec^ovska Polianka in Eastern Slovakia. When I searched the directory
        for using Ore for the surname and Sec for the town I came up with two
        Orendas in Sec^ovska Polianka and one in Sec^ovce. Doing a search on Mac
        and Sec, I came up with five Macko in Sec^ovce and none in Sec^ovska
        Polianka. I found a Jan Macko in Dvorianky about four miles south of
        Sec^ovska Polianka. Sec^ovska Polianka is about 10 miles NNE from
        Sec^ovce. The fact that John had a middle name would indicate that he was
        probably Roman Catholic. Greek Catholics are baptized and confirmed at the
        same time and normally do not have a middle name. My father's name was
        Maczko when he emigrated and it was Anglicized to Matsko early on.

        John M.

        >They emigrated to Passaic New Jersey where they
        >had a grocery store at 230 Market St. Any help would be greatly
        >appreciated. I do have photos that could be uploaded, if anyone
        >thinks that would help. Many thanks!
        >Alyssa
        >

        >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

      • Alyssa Eppich
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
          John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in Margecany.
          Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b. 1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
            John,
            I should add that although little Emil was buried in a GC cemetery in this country, both John Emil and Mary are buried in the cemetery of St.Mary's Slovak Catholic Church. The church is in Passaic NJ and the cemetery is in Saddle Brook NJ.
            Alyssa

          • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
              Do you have an idea when your relatives came through Ellis Island and
              have you checked spelling variations of their names through the site?
              What was John Emil's wife's maiden name?

              At that time period, much of the area between Market Street and Third
              St was Slavic/Rusyn with a Jewish section along Passaic Street. Many
              Slovaks went to St Michael's - partly because people there spoke a
              language they knew. A little later in time it would have been St
              Peter & Paul's RO on Monroe St, I believe, just past Market.

              Yes, there is a strong likelihood your grandmother was GC if the baby
              is in St Peter's. My paternal grandparents and others are there.

              Have you tried asking the Passaic Vital Statistics for a copy of the
              baby's birth certificate ($10)? It might supply another set of
              spelling variations, so don't be surprised. I was born in Passaic.
              When I sought to obtain records from the period you identify, I found
              many are missing as midwives sometimes "forgot" to register the
              births. A fallback would be to write to the state but they now seek
              proof of a relationship to the party you are seeking. Sigh....

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@a...>

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Service.

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2003
                At 07:05 PM 2/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through. Orendas
                >was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly thought it was
                >Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed, plus some others like
                >Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten further. There are also Mackos in
                >Margecany.
                >Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child Emil(b.
                >1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery in Garfield
                >New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

                This may not be of any help.The EIDB has a John Maczko, 47, 283 Main Ave.,
                Passaic NY (?), arriving in 1922. If the age is correct, his birth year
                would be 1875. They made a mistake in putting Passaic in NY. If they read
                41 as 47 then that would put his birth date at 1881. This John was
                naturalized on 3/30/1911 in Passaic. 283 Main Ave. appears to be about 2
                miles from the Market St. address. Did they also live at that Market St.
                address? If it was the John you were interested in, passport
                information, if available, might tell you where he visited although it
                would probably not show the town. Since he was a citizen, the manifest did
                not give any information on where he was coming from. I don't know if the
                passenger list would give additional information.

                The Macko name, as you have said, is pretty common in Slovakia. Maczko is
                also used. The Orendas name is far less common. I tried some of the major
                cities and only found three in Kosice beside the two villages I mentioned
                in the last post. If you had some other source of information such as
                naturalization papers, death certificates, church records in Passiac, etc,
                they might help you identify the villages.

                I believe the GC church registers for Sec^ovska Polianka are with the Cabov
                records and the RC register films are with the Parchovany records. The
                Sec^ovce records are RC and Evangelical and should be with the Sec^ovce
                church records. To find the FHC film numbers got to
                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and do a
                Place Search on Cabov, Parchovany and Secovce. It is likely that one of
                them was Greek Catholic and it appears more likely she was since he did
                have a middle name. That would lead me to believe she was from Sec^ovska
                Polianka, if we have the correct town, because there are GC church records
                (and RC also) for that village and although there are no Macko/Maczko in
                the village now, there may have been at that time. Good luck.

                John M.

              • Doris W.
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2003
                  For those of you in the Passiac area, does anyone have any connection to
                  Zsoldos or Bandzej (Baudzj/Baudrej) families? My great-grandfather married
                  Anna Zsoldos from Passaic. I think Zsoldos was her maiden name, but I'm not
                  sure about that. She had three daughters, Mary, Susan & Anna. There may
                  have also been a son, Andrew.

                  The marriage record at Holy Trinity Church in Pottstown, PA (which is where
                  Anna & my great-grandfather married) for Mary said she was the daughter of
                  John Baudrej & Anna Zolslos. I find it interesting how the spelling of a
                  name changes with each entry.

                  I'm wondering when John Baudrej (sp??) died and when the children were
                  born. Mary's death certificate said that her maiden name was Bodnar and
                  that Michael Bodnar was her father. They same information is on Andrew's
                  death certificate. I wonder if people just took the name of adults they
                  lived with if their birth father was no longer living. Any ideas?

                  TIA

                  Doris