New Members

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hi all.....

      It appears we have been getting (and may be geting more) new members
      since the Slovak World group had to move its list, and many people
      belong to both lists anyway as they are a bit different in scope.

      I hope you will make them welcome, and to our new members please write
      in and tell us what you are working on. Our homepage is at
      http://community.webtv.net/slovakroots/index It's not complete yet as I
      haven't had the time to do the first page right, but the surname and
      location pages are up.

      Cheers,
      Maura

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
    • mpetzolt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2004
        We've gotten many new members in the past month or so.. if you are
        new, please write a bit to the list about where and who you are
        searching for....

        If you already wrote that in the message to me to be accepted for the
        list, that only went to me... so you will need to send it again for
        the members to see it.

        Maura
      • greta6615202
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
          Hello to all new members! I am pretty new myself! My name is
          Gretchen and I have been trying to research my father's family,
          Hirjak. My grandfather, Gyurka Hirjak ("George") came to Western
          Pennsylvania, USA aound 1902 with his mother, Anna Danyo Hirjak. My
          great-grandfather, Janos Hirjak, was already here, working in the
          steel mill in Butler, Pennsylvania. They apparently came from the
          area in Zemplin then known as Nagykemencze, now known as Kamencze nad
          Cirochou. I am trying to find out about other family members still
          in Kamencze, where the family came from, further back the family line
          as far as I can go and whether or not Gyurka had any siblings. My
          grandmother, Julia, whom Gyruka married in 1922 in the USA, is part
          of the Zavacky family from around the same area. I would also like
          to know more about them. Other family names are Warhola and
          Janesco. My grandmother Julia Zavacky is apparantly a cousin to the
          Warhola family from which the artist Andy Warhol comes. Good luck to
          everyone in their searches! I really don't have much information but
          will help anyone as much as I can.
          Gretchen
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 5:44 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "greta6615202" <greta66@c...> wrote:
            > Hello to all new members! I am pretty new myself! My name is
            > Gretchen and I have been trying to research my father's family,
            > Hirjak. My grandfather, Gyurka Hirjak ("George") came to Western
            > Pennsylvania, USA aound 1902 with his mother, Anna Danyo Hirjak. My
            > great-grandfather, Janos Hirjak, was already here, working in the
            > steel mill in Butler, Pennsylvania. They apparently came from the
            > area in Zemplin then known as Nagykemencze, now known as Kamencze nad
            > Cirochou. I am trying to find out about other family members still
            > in Kamencze, where the family came from, further back the family line
            > as far as I can go and whether or not Gyurka had any siblings. My
            > grandmother, Julia, whom Gyruka married in 1922 in the USA, is part
            > of the Zavacky family from around the same area. I would also like
            > to know more about them. Other family names are Warhola and
            > Janesco. My grandmother Julia Zavacky is apparantly a cousin to the
            > Warhola family from which the artist Andy Warhol comes. Good luck to
            > everyone in their searches! I really don't have much information but
            > will help anyone as much as I can.
            > Gretchen

            ahoj Gretchen,

            Just by coincidence have just been reading about artist Andy Warhol.
            Were any of your surnames Greek Catholic religion ?

            And were surnames Carpatho-Rusyn (Ruthenian) ethnicity ?
            Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyns tend to be Greek Catholic religion.
            Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
            and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
            been used, especially in Slovakia.

            How are you ?

            Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

            Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

            R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
            (yah k s p r á v ee )

            Ukrainian has a H sound/letter, but no hard G.

            After the fall of Communism in Slovakia, many Carpatho-Rusyns
            chose to identify as Slovaks rather than as Ukrainians.

            The actor Tom Selleck and American artist Andy Warhol were of
            Rusyn ethnicity.
            The former American actor Robert Urich was half-Ruthenian, half-Slovak.

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed both the R.C. parish church (1805-1925)
            and the G.C. parish church records (1768-1907) for Kamenica nad
            Cirochou (Humenné)

            You will find 11 surnames Hirják and 3 surnames Závacky' listed under
            Humenné in Slovakia telephone directory.

            Frank K