NOVAK, MARGA

  • mabensh <mabensh@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      Anyone else tracking either of these surnames? I am told by my
      mother that her grandparents were Slovakian. A census report
      indicates my grandfather says they were Lithuanian!

      Would MARGA be a Slovak name? Would there be other spellings for
      that?

      As always, any help is appreciated.
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        At 06:20 PM 2/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi all,
        >
        >Anyone else tracking either of these surnames? I am told by my
        >mother that her grandparents were Slovakian. A census report
        >indicates my grandfather says they were Lithuanian!
        >
        >Would MARGA be a Slovak name? Would there be other spellings for
        >that?

        I found four Marga listed in the Slovak online directory. They are in
        Kosice. You might try other towns in that part of Slovakia. The
        directory is at http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html Put the first
        three or more letters of a town and surname and you'll get all the listings
        for the towns and surnames beginning with the letters you used. That part
        of Slovakia may have many Hungarian and perhaps German surnames in it. I
        don't know if it is a Slovak surname. There appear to be very few in
        Slovakia based on a major city check. Bratislava had 3 Margala listed.

        John M.

        John

      • Frank <frankur@att.net>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mabensh <mabensh@y...>"
          <mabensh@y...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Anyone else tracking either of these surnames? I am told by my
          > mother that her grandparents were Slovakian. A census report
          > indicates my grandfather says they were Lithuanian!
          >
          > Would MARGA be a Slovak name? Would there be other spellings for
          > that?
          >
          > As always, any help is appreciated.

          Yes.
          Marga could be a Slovak surname as well as other ethnicities.
          There were surnames Marga from Upper-Hungary, later Slovakia.
          From Kos^ice, Pres^ov, and Michalovce region in eastern Slovakia.
          A few were from Galicia in SE Poland..

          When a Slavic surname ends in a vowel it can also be a Romance
          language (Italian, French, Spanish) name.
          Most of the surnames Marga who emigrated to the U.S. were from Italy
          and bore Italian first names.

          Marga doesn't look like a Lithuanian surname.
          But, marga(s) does mean 'of many colors' in Lithuanian.
          Lithuanian surnames are uncommon like Golokvisc^iaus, Mis^kinis,
          Baz^nyc^ia, Arbac^auskas, etc.

          Before the 1920 U.S. Federal Census , census takers were Anglo males
          who spoke no foreign languages.
          They may not have understood your surnames.
          Perhaps surnames had lived in a Lithuanian neighborhood.
          Where did your GF settle in the U.S. ?

          How are you ?
          I understand.

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian