Re: Seen this name before?

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "andy655321 <achema@m...>"
      <achema@m...> wrote:
      > I should say that the name was changed briefly ( A year or so) to
      > Crema then back to Chema. Any reason for this you imagine ???

      I don't know.
      Some emigrants changed names after they settled in the U.S.
      In a ship manifest it could have been just a misspelling.

      Crema is an Italian word meaning 'cream' and an Italian surname.

      When a Slavic surname ends in a vowel it usually gets put
      into listings with Romance languages names, Italian, Spanish etc.
      Sometimes you can tell by the surname bearer's first name.

      In Czech and Slovak the diacritic (accented) letter c^ is pron. ch.
      Slovak also has a letter 'Ch' pron. ch which comes after h in
      the Slovak dictionary.