Re: "Great-Uncle"

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 1999
      Ah, Jenny!

      Now I see how he earned the " " or goose feet as Germans call quotation
      marks. The most spectacular attempt at genealogical research I was a
      failure due to an nasty old man that is my "great uncle". The
      grandparents left the old village and married in America, in part
      because the two families had a feud going to rival the Hatfields and
      McCoys. Because of this old feud, when we visited Lozin in 1982 my
      mother did not ask the one family about the other family. In 1998/9 I
      visited and the SOMOS family was really enthused about the family
      questions and the tree that the Canadians in the family had worked up,
      so they drove me over to visit the only VALYO still on the lists.

      The Somos family was a gold mine in old records meticulously kept, they
      command at least 4 languages, and they know the politicians and the
      system there inside out. If you need research in the vicinity of
      Trebisov I can highly recommend them!

      The old VALLO/VALYO man was getting on in Althzeimers but was still
      living at home with a caretaker. He had an old-world grudge because we
      didn't stop by in 1982 and my mother never answered two letters during
      the war. (She never received any). We interrogated him from every
      direction possible, and the father, son and daughter covered every
      avenue and every approach. Even the American cousin helped a bit, but
      we never got any information or addresses of the two married daughters
      now living in Austria.

      One of the things that thoroughly impressed me all my life is how tough
      and mean my grandparents generation was. There was a very high
      percentage of nasty, argumentative people. I finally came to the
      conclusion that life was really tough and that was a reaction to the
      tough conditions then.

      We are very lucky!

      Ron