Re: Regula/Surek/Kuriplach

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dente <brookft@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hello - I was wondering if anyone is doing research on either the
      name Regula or Surek or Kuriplach. All came from the Galicia/Ruthania
      area in the 1890's to 1900's. Also, do we have a way of researching
      old place names? A. Ribniczl and/or A. Ribnicki keep coming up in my
      research. Thanks
      > Liz, Jerry, Pumpkin, Sweet Pea and Angel
      > Brookfort Dachshund Resort
      > DRNA in New Jersey

      re: A.Ribniczi

      ahoj

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      Alsó means 'lower' in Hungarian.
      Niz^ná means 'lower' in Slovak.
      Alsóribnyice (H) Niz^ná Rybnica (Sk) was a former Ruthenian village
      once located in old Ung megye (county), Hungary.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers of births,
      marriages and deaths (1820-1910) for Niz^ná Rybnica, Slovakia;
      formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas), Ung, Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.

      film #
      1792925
      1792926