Re: BASTIAN FAMILY

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Polle" <rldep@m...>
      wrote:
      > Hello listmembers,
      > Perhaps someone will be able to help (look-ups; where to write for
      > records, etc.) fill in some blanks with my BASTIAN FAMILY:
      >
      > My GGF: MATTHEW BASTIAN and wife, CATHERINE (LAMBERT)
      > TIME PERIOD ABT. 1855-1920
      >
      > children -- MY GF: JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN, b. 19/04/1884
      > siblings: Barbara; Elizabeth; (& possibly a brother - John or
      Matthew)

      > JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN m. 09/01/1909 ANNA POTZTOTA (POTSTATA)
      > in Temesvar, Hungary
      >
      > children: JOSEPH LEOPOLD, JR. b. 20/01/1910
      > GISELE b. abt, 1911 - 1914
      > FRANCIS b. abt. 1911 - 1914 (don't know who
      1st)

      > My Grandfather, JOSEPH, came to the USA, alone in 1914. The Ellis
      > Island site showed the ship manifest that he was seeking his
      brother-
      > in-law, LEOPOLD POTZTOTA (I cannot find him through Ellis Island.)
      >
      > My Grandmother, ANNA, followed with my Uncle, Joe Jr. in 1915.
      > We don't know what happened with Gisele or Francis.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help,
      > Laurie

      You mention Temesvár, Hungary now Timisoara, Romania.

      Over 51 million people lived in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
      (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians, Serbians,
      Italians, Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
      Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
      Austro-Hungarian Empire.

      After WW I (1918), Austra-Hungary, one of the largest countries in
      Europe in the 19th century, was split into many countries.

      When talking about the people of Hungarian nationality it meant that
      at least 50% of the Hungarians became citizens of countries other than
      Hungary (Czechoslovakia, Romania, Yugoslavia, the Soviet Union,
      Austria)

      Romanian is a Romance language akin to Italian, French, and Spanish.

      Romania is a Latin island in a Slavic sea.

      Comment ca va ? (F)
      Come sta ? (I)
      ? Cómo está usted ? (S)
      Ce mai faceti ? (Rom)

      Ellis Island Records lists 3 surnames Potztota.
      Their Last Residence was Temesvár.

      Mariska (H) Maria (G) , age 22, German, married and
      Franziska (G) (Frances) , 10 age months, in 1908
      Going to their husband and father ? Potztota somewhere ?
      Born in Temesvár.

      Maria (G), age 20 , German, single in 1912
      She went to brother Leopold Potztota in St. Louis, MO.
      On same ship manifest was a Josef, age 28, married and Franziska,
      age 23, married, Pokorny.
      Both Pokorny went to his brother-in-law Leopold Potztota in
      St. Louis.
      Maria was born in Nagybecskerek, Hungary which was formerly located
      in Torontál megye (county) and was later part of former Yugoslavia.