BASTIAN FAMILY

  • Ronald Polle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2003
      Hello listmembers,
      Perhaps someone will be able to help (look-ups; where to write for
      records, etc.) fill in some blanks with my BASTIAN FAMILY:

      My GGF: MATTHEW BASTIAN and wife, CATHERINE (LAMBERT)
      TIME PERIOD ABT. 1855-1920

      children -- MY GF: JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN, b. 19/04/1884
      siblings: Barbara; Elizabeth; (& possibly a brother - John or Matthew)

      JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN m. 09/01/1909 ANNA POTZTOTA (POTSTATA)
      in Temesvar, Hungary

      children: JOSEPH LEOPOLD, JR. b. 20/01/1910
      GISELE b. abt, 1911 - 1914
      FRANCIS b. abt. 1911 - 1914 (don't know who 1st)

      My Grandfather, JOSEPH, came to the USA, alone in 1914. The Ellis
      Island site showed the ship manifest that he was seeking his brother-
      in-law, LEOPOLD POTZTOTA (I cannot find him through Ellis Island.)

      My Grandmother, ANNA, followed with my Uncle, Joe Jr. in 1915.
      We don't know what happened with Gisele or Francis.

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help,
      Laurie

    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Polle" <rldep@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hello listmembers,
        > Perhaps someone will be able to help (look-ups; where to write for
        > records, etc.) fill in some blanks with my BASTIAN FAMILY:
        >
        > My GGF: MATTHEW BASTIAN and wife, CATHERINE (LAMBERT)
        > TIME PERIOD ABT. 1855-1920
        >
        > children -- MY GF: JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN, b. 19/04/1884
        > siblings: Barbara; Elizabeth; (& possibly a brother - John or
        Matthew)

        > JOSEPH LEOPOLD BASTIAN m. 09/01/1909 ANNA POTZTOTA (POTSTATA)
        > in Temesvar, Hungary
        >
        > children: JOSEPH LEOPOLD, JR. b. 20/01/1910
        > GISELE b. abt, 1911 - 1914
        > FRANCIS b. abt. 1911 - 1914 (don't know who
        1st)

        > My Grandfather, JOSEPH, came to the USA, alone in 1914. The Ellis
        > Island site showed the ship manifest that he was seeking his
        brother-
        > in-law, LEOPOLD POTZTOTA (I cannot find him through Ellis Island.)
        >
        > My Grandmother, ANNA, followed with my Uncle, Joe Jr. in 1915.
        > We don't know what happened with Gisele or Francis.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help,
        > Laurie

        You mention Temesvár, Hungary now Timisoara, Romania.

        Over 51 million people lived in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
        The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians
        (9 million). There were also Poles, Croats, Bosnians, Serbians,
        Italians, Czechs, Ruthenes, Slovenes, Slovaks and Romanians.
        Overall, fifteen different languages were spoken in the former
        Austro-Hungarian Empire.

        After WW I (1918), Austra-Hungary, one of the largest countries in
        Europe in the 19th century, was split into many countries.

        When talking about the people of Hungarian nationality it meant that
        at least 50% of the Hungarians became citizens of countries other than
        Hungary (Czechoslovakia, Romania, Yugoslavia, the Soviet Union,
        Austria)

        Romanian is a Romance language akin to Italian, French, and Spanish.

        Romania is a Latin island in a Slavic sea.

        Comment ca va ? (F)
        Come sta ? (I)
        ? Cómo está usted ? (S)
        Ce mai faceti ? (Rom)

        Ellis Island Records lists 3 surnames Potztota.
        Their Last Residence was Temesvár.

        Mariska (H) Maria (G) , age 22, German, married and
        Franziska (G) (Frances) , 10 age months, in 1908
        Going to their husband and father ? Potztota somewhere ?
        Born in Temesvár.

        Maria (G), age 20 , German, single in 1912
        She went to brother Leopold Potztota in St. Louis, MO.
        On same ship manifest was a Josef, age 28, married and Franziska,
        age 23, married, Pokorny.
        Both Pokorny went to his brother-in-law Leopold Potztota in
        St. Louis.
        Maria was born in Nagybecskerek, Hungary which was formerly located
        in Torontál megye (county) and was later part of former Yugoslavia.