[S-R] Re: Help needed with a surname...

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Frank,
      > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
      > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of
      which I have found many on church records.
      > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived
      from it..
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

      Dear Vladimir,

      You are quite correct.

      Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
      So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.

      And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
      From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
      and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)

      Korman was the 'root word'.
      Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
      affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)

      Slovak surnames :
      Korman
      Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.

      You are in Slovensko.
      I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
      spellings.

      Regards,

      Frank

      States
      > in
      > > the early part of last century. Here she married a Polish man by
      the
      > > last name of Ziemba. My problem is that I know her maiden name
      > > was "Kormancyk", but I'm not sure about the spelling since I've
      > > searched numerous databases with no result. If anyone knows
      anything
      > > about the proper spelling of this surname, a reply would be much
      > > appreciated.
      >
      > The Hungarian letter 'cs' was usually equivalent to Slovak
      > diacritical letter c^ = ch.
      > In surnames the letters i/y were usually interchangeable.
      > You could expect variants of the Slovak spelling for Kormancyk.
      > For example, 4 surnames Kormancik emigrated to the U.S.
      > from Veszele (H) Hungary, which is Oravské Veselé (Sk) located
      > in western Slovakia.
      >
      > Some emigrants changed or shortened names after arrival in the
      > U.S.
      > For example, => Korman.
      >
      > That is not the problem.
      > How to identify which Ziemba was your GM's spouse ?
      > What was his first name and they married and settled where ?
      >
      > 488 surnames Ziemba emigrated to the U.S. via Ellis Island
      1892-1924.
      > Gedcom files list over 400 surname Ziemba bearers.
      > There are thousands of surnames Ziemba bearers just in the U.S.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2003
        Yes, Frank, I am here in Slovensko, especially interested in surnames, evolution and migration.
        Regards,
        Vladimir
        > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
        > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of
        which I have found many on church records.
        > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived
        from it..
        > Regards,
        > Vladimir

        Dear Vladimir,

        You are quite correct.

        Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
        So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.

        And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
        >From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
        and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)

        Korman was the 'root word'.
        Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
        affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)

        Slovak surnames :
        Korman
        Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.

        You are in Slovensko.
        I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
        spellings.

        Regards,

        Frank

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kristi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2004
          I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
          grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
          place.

          My grandmother's name was Kristina Kormancik, daughter of John
          Kormancik and Mary (Styer) Kormancik. She had 2 brothers, John and
          Stefan, and one sister, Mary.

          How do about tracing my family tree from there and locating long
          lost relatives (children and grandchildren of my grandmother's
          brothers)?

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank <frankur@a...>"

        • Kristi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2004

            <frankur@a...> wrote:
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
            <konekta@n...>
            > wrote:
            > > Dear Frank,
            > > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
            > > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak
            surname, of
            > which I have found many on church records.
            > > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was
            derived
            > from it..
            > > Regards,
            > > Vladimir
            >
            > Dear Vladimir,
            >
            > You are quite correct.
            >
            > Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
            > So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.
            >
            > And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
            > From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
            > and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)
            >
            > Korman was the 'root word'.
            > Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
            > affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)
            >
            > Slovak surnames :
            > Korman
            > Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.
            >
            > You are in Slovensko.
            > I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
            > spellings.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Frank

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
              At 11:43 PM 1/27/2004 +0000, you wrote:
              >I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
              >grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
              >place.

              I found 10 Kormancik listings for Kormancik in the online SK phone directory.

              http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

              Have you checked the FHC site and done a search on Oravské Veselé?

              Bill T has a page with information on strategy for researching in Slovakia:

              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

              Maura, this list owner also has very good researching information:

              http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints/

              John M.
            • Kristi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
                My search here comes up with nothing.

                Thanks for your help though.

                By the way, is there anywhere I could find addresses for individuals
                in Slovakia instead of phone numbers?

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                > At 11:43 PM 1/27/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                > >I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
                > >grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
                > >place.
                >
                > I found 10 Kormancik listings for Kormancik in the online SK phone
                directory.

                > http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
                >
                > Have you checked the FHC site and done a search on Oravské Veselé?
                >
                > Bill T has a page with information on strategy for researching in
                Slovakia:

                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm
                >
                > Maura, this list owner also has very good researching information:
                >
                > http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints/
                >
                > John M.
              • John M,
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                  At 10:20 AM 1/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                  >http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
                  >My search here comes up with nothing.

                  My apologies for the error in the first sentence. It should have read "I
                  found 10 Kormancik listings for Oravské Veselé in the online SK phone
                  directory. If you click on the name of the person, the address and phone
                  number will be shown. To find the postal code use
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/hlpsc.html it is an explanation of how
                  to address mail and use the postal code.

                  Did you do a place search for Oravské Veselé at this site:

                  The church records for Oravské Veselé cover the period from 1794 to
                  1897. Order the microfilm for Oravské Veselé from the LFS location in your
                  area. Good luck.

                  John M.