Re: [S-R] Re: Help needed with a surname...

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2003
      Dear Frank,
      I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
      The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of which I have found many on church records.
      I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived from it..
      Regards,
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Frank,
        > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
        > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of
        which I have found many on church records.
        > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived
        from it..
        > Regards,
        > Vladimir

        Dear Vladimir,

        You are quite correct.

        Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
        So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.

        And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
        From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
        and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)

        Korman was the 'root word'.
        Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
        affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)

        Slovak surnames :
        Korman
        Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.

        You are in Slovensko.
        I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
        spellings.

        Regards,

        Frank

        Service.

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2003
          Yes, Frank, I am here in Slovensko, especially interested in surnames, evolution and migration.
          Regards,
          Vladimir
          > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
          > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of
          which I have found many on church records.
          > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived
          from it..
          > Regards,
          > Vladimir

          Dear Vladimir,

          You are quite correct.

          Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
          So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.

          And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
          >From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
          and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)

          Korman was the 'root word'.
          Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
          affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)

          Slovak surnames :
          Korman
          Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.

          You are in Slovensko.
          I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
          spellings.

          Regards,

          Frank

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kristi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2004
            I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
            grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
            place.

            My grandmother's name was Kristina Kormancik, daughter of John
            Kormancik and Mary (Styer) Kormancik. She had 2 brothers, John and
            Stefan, and one sister, Mary.

            How do about tracing my family tree from there and locating long
            lost relatives (children and grandchildren of my grandmother's
            brothers)?

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank <frankur@a...>"

          • Kristi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2004

              <frankur@a...> wrote:
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
              <konekta@n...>
              > wrote:
              > > Dear Frank,
              > > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
              > > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak
              surname, of
              > which I have found many on church records.
              > > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was
              derived
              > from it..
              > > Regards,
              > > Vladimir
              >
              > Dear Vladimir,
              >
              > You are quite correct.
              >
              > Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
              > So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.
              >
              > And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
              > From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
              > and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)
              >
              > Korman was the 'root word'.
              > Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
              > affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)
              >
              > Slovak surnames :
              > Korman
              > Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.
              >
              > You are in Slovensko.
              > I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
              > spellings.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Frank

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                At 11:43 PM 1/27/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
                >grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
                >place.

                I found 10 Kormancik listings for Kormancik in the online SK phone directory.

                http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

                Have you checked the FHC site and done a search on Oravské Veselé?

                Bill T has a page with information on strategy for researching in Slovakia:

                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

                Maura, this list owner also has very good researching information:

                http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints/

                John M.
              • Kristi
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
                  My search here comes up with nothing.

                  Thanks for your help though.

                  By the way, is there anywhere I could find addresses for individuals
                  in Slovakia instead of phone numbers?

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                  > At 11:43 PM 1/27/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
                  > >grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
                  > >place.
                  >
                  > I found 10 Kormancik listings for Kormancik in the online SK phone
                  directory.

                  > http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
                  >
                  > Have you checked the FHC site and done a search on Oravské Veselé?
                  >
                  > Bill T has a page with information on strategy for researching in
                  Slovakia:

                  > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm
                  >
                  > Maura, this list owner also has very good researching information:
                  >
                  > http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints/
                  >
                  > John M.
                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                    At 10:20 AM 1/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                    >http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
                    >My search here comes up with nothing.

                    My apologies for the error in the first sentence. It should have read "I
                    found 10 Kormancik listings for Oravské Veselé in the online SK phone
                    directory. If you click on the name of the person, the address and phone
                    number will be shown. To find the postal code use
                    http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/hlpsc.html it is an explanation of how
                    to address mail and use the postal code.

                    Did you do a place search for Oravské Veselé at this site:

                    The church records for Oravské Veselé cover the period from 1794 to
                    1897. Order the microfilm for Oravské Veselé from the LFS location in your
                    area. Good luck.

                    John M.