Re: Marton

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 1999
      Why do you refer to him as a "grandfather"? Was he a grandfather, an
      honorary grandfather, an illegitimate grandfather, a great uncle or
      what? I can only think of one Indian village where the whole village
      refers to one man as "Grandfather" because he was such a ladies man as a
      youth that no one can be sure he is NOT their grandfather!

      So please explain...

      Ron

      Jenny Brichta wrote:

      > From: "Jenny Brichta" <yump@...>
      >
      > Hi Andrea,
      >
      > My "grandfather" was a Marton. His name was Imrich and he was a professor
      > of geography (?) in Michalovce just before WWII. I believe he died in 1996.
      > Don't know anything else about him.
      >
      > Jenny

    • Jenny Brichta
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
        Yes, Ron, you're right. "Grandfather" needs some explanation. Mr. Marton,
        my "grandfather" and my grandmother were both employed as professors at the
        same school. They began dating. Mr. Marton was fond of the booze and
        according to my grandmother, an alcoholic. One night, they went out, he got
        drunk and insisted on accompanying her home. She wouldn't let him in as she
        lived in a boarding house and didn't want to upset the other boarders. He
        started to make a fuss, however, and so she finally let him in. He
        continued to make demands and I guess forced himself on my grandmother. In
        the end, he created so much noise and commotion that the entire boarding
        house was in an uproar and they threw him out. My grandmother never dated
        him again and never told my mother who her real father was. She lied and
        told her it was her ex-husband, the father of her first child. Years went
        by. WWII ended and they immigrated to the US. At age 35, my mother wrote
        to the man she thought was her father and received a letter which was read
        at the dinner table. Expecting either a welcome or at least a hello, I can
        still remember the shock on my parents' face when the letter brought a
        vehement denial of any parentage whatsoever. So then my grandmother came
        out with Mr. Marton and what we think is the truth, although my grandmother
        may have lied about this too. So you see, I don't really know what to call
        Mr. Marton, "grandfather" seemed the nicest.

        An interesting addendum, my parents went to Slovakia and tried to visit Mr.
        Marton. They bumped into one of his students on the street who told them
        that he had died in 1996 and that he left behind a wife and several
        children; one of the sons had become a professor.