Re: [S-R] Help needed with a surname...

  • Ed Maul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
      Did you try using Soundex to get some various name spellings?

      Ed, in New York

      http:members.tripod.com/~Silvie/Schilling.html
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
        Kormancyk is a slovak spelling.
        for official use, the hungarian spelling would be used, so try with
        Kormancsyk or Kormancsik.
        Vladimir
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
          Vladimir,
          would Michalcsek be the Hungarian spelling of Michalsek?
          thanks
          Noreen
        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
            Noreen,
            Michalcsek is the hungarian spelling of Michalcek.
            The hungarians do not have the letter C with the thing on it, so they write CS.
            Especially good to know when researching Ellis Island.
            They Michalcsek and you will get all years.
            Try Michalcek and you will get years mostly from after the WW1, when the hungarian spelling was not required any more.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            would Michalcsek be the Hungarian spelling of Michalsek?
            thanks
            Noreen

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor