Help needed with a surname...

  • Kristi <mcrulz@netrax.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2003
      My grandmother emmigrated from Czechoslovakia to the United States in
      the early part of last century. Here she married a Polish man by the
      last name of Ziemba. My problem is that I know her maiden name
      was "Kormancyk", but I'm not sure about the spelling since I've
      searched numerous databases with no result. If anyone knows anything
      about the proper spelling of this surname, a reply would be much
      appreciated.
    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi <mcrulz@n...>"
        <mcrulz@n...> wrote:
        > My grandmother emmigrated from Czechoslovakia to the United States
        in
        > the early part of last century. Here she married a Polish man by the
        > last name of Ziemba. My problem is that I know her maiden name
        > was "Kormancyk", but I'm not sure about the spelling since I've
        > searched numerous databases with no result. If anyone knows anything
        > about the proper spelling of this surname, a reply would be much
        > appreciated.

        The Hungarian letter 'cs' was usually equivalent to Slovak
        diacritical letter c^ = ch.
        In surnames the letters i/y were usually interchangeable.
        You could expect variants of the Slovak spelling for Kormancyk.
        For example, 4 surnames Kormancik emigrated to the U.S.
        from Veszele (H) Hungary, which is Oravské Veselé (Sk) located
        in western Slovakia.

        Some emigrants changed or shortened names after arrival in the
        U.S.
        For example, => Korman.

        That is not the problem.
        How to identify which Ziemba was your GM's spouse ?
        What was his first name and they married and settled where ?

        488 surnames Ziemba emigrated to the U.S. via Ellis Island 1892-1924.
        Gedcom files list over 400 surname Ziemba bearers.
        There are thousands of surnames Ziemba bearers just in the U.S.