Re: [S-R] HELLO THERE,

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
      In a message dated 1/13/03 12:15:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Jackiestich@... writes:

      > JOSEPH (JOZEF) STEVEN DANKO

      hi,
      i have searched the Ellis Island ship's manifest and cannot find anyone who
      matches all of the data you have put into your request.
      i wish we could help.
      Noreen

    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 14, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jackiestich@a... wrote:
        > HELLO THERE,

        > I ASK YOU ABOUT PASSPORT FOR LEAVE THE COUNTRY
        TO UNITED
        > STATES AND LOOK NAME LIST OF PASSPORT PLEASE . I AM LOOKING MY GRAND
        FATHER'S
        > NAME JOSEPH (JOZEF) STEVEN DANKO WHO WAS BORN SAROS, HUNGARY ON
        MARCH 18,1885
        > AND HE WAS 19 YEAR OLD THAT TIME. HE SAILED TO AMERICA IN SHIP
        NAME THE
        > DUTCHLAND (DEUTSCHLAND) HAMBURG AMERICA LINE. HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK
        ON
        > JUNE 21,1905. I WANT TO COPY THE INFORMATION AND WHAT NAME TOWN
        > TO LEAVE FOR NEW YORK AND HOW LONG THE SHIP ARE SAILED
        > FOR ONE OR TWO WEEK ARRIVED IN NEW YORK. PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND
        RIGHT
        > INFORMATION. HOW MUCH COST AND WHAT ABOUT THE FILMS?

        > THANK YOU, JACKIE STICH

        There is no listing of surnames for Hungarian passports issued
        before WW I.

        There was no country called Slovakia or Czechoslovakia before 1920.
        It was Austro-Hungarian Empire.
        If your GF travled to United from Slovakia in 1905 he had a Hungarian
        passport issued for purpose of emigration for period of one year.

        The passport would have been written in Hungarian and French.
        The first page would have had words U'TLEVE'L - PASSEPORT.
        (Meaning passport in Hungarian and French languages)
        On page 2 would be Lakheleye (Domicile) (his place of residence)
        then Kora (age) his age
        Not his birth place and birth date.

        Joseph
        József (Hungarian)
        Jozef (Slovak)
        Stephen
        István (Hungarian)
        Stefan (Slovak)

        Sáros megye (county) (Hungarian) = Spis^ z^upa (county) (Slovak)

        Neither do ship manifests list surname's birth place.
        They list surname's Last Residence in Europe.

        The closest match was a Jozef Danko, age 19, who emigrated in 1905
        on March 23, 1905 from Bremen, Germany on Oldenburg vessel.
        His Last Residence was Mucsény (H) Muc^in (Sk) located in western
        Slovakia.

        DEUTSCHLAND (3)
        The "Deutschland" of 1900 was the third vessel of that name belonging
        to Hamburg America Line. She was built A.G.Vulkan of Stettin and
        launched
        on 10.1.1900. and was a 16,502 ton vessel, length 660.9ft x beam
        67.3ft, four
        funnels (set in pairs), two masts, twin screw and a speed of 22 knots.
        She could carry 450-1st, 300-2nd and 350-3rd class passengers. She
        left
        Hamburg for Plymouth and New York on her maiden voyage on 4.7.1900 and
        took the
        blue riband for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic in both
        directions, although
        she suffered from excessive vibration at high speeds.
        In 1902, this caused her rudder and stern post to snap off and repairs
        took
        five months. She made her last voyage on this run on 24.9.1910.
        In 1911 she was rebuilt as a 17 knot cruise vessel with accommodation
        for
        487-1st class passengers and renamed "Victoria Luise". She sailed
        between
        Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - NY until the outbreak of war in
        1914
        when she intended to be converted to an auxiliary cruiser at Hamburg.
        She was not converted or surrendered to the Allies in 1919 due to her
        generally poor condition and in 1920 was damaged by fire during her
        reconditioning.
        She was rebuilt with two funnels and accommodation for 36 cabin class
        and 1,350-3rd class passengers and renamed "Hansa". Sailed between
        Hamburg
        and NY with a further rebuild in 1922 to carry 224 cabin and 1,065-3rd
        class passengers. Last voyage 25.9.1924 and scrapped in 1925 at
        Hamburg.
        [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Ted Finch- 10 August
        1997]
      • Jackiestich@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
          HELLO THERE,

                                                                    I ASK YOU QUESTION
          TO HELP ME IF THEY LOOK FAMILY TREE  HISTORY AT ARCHIVES AT BRATISLAVA SIMPLE
          RESEARCH 400.-SK/1HOUR - DEMANDING RESEARCH 600.-SK/1 HOUR - VERY DEMANDING
          RESEARCH - 650.00-SK/1HOUR -TYPING 80.-SK 1HOUR - ARCHIVES ADMINISTRATIVE
          FEE:100.-200.-SK AND HOW TO CHANGE THE AMERICA MONEY THAT WAY. CAN YOU
          EXPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR ME.                                            THANK
          YOU, JACKIE STICH

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
            When you request the research, you tell them the maximum you will pay,
            in US dollars (if you live in the USA). When they are finished with the
            research, they will give you an itemized bill, and will tell you how
            much to send in US dollars. They will tell you if the research you
            requested was simple or demanding. They do the conversion from SK to US
            dollars for you. I have always been happy with their work.

            Ron Milliken

            Jackiestich@... wrote:

            > HELLO
            > THERE,
            >
            > I ASK YOU
            > QUESTION
            > TO HELP ME IF THEY LOOK FAMILY TREE HISTORY AT ARCHIVES AT BRATISLAVA
            > SIMPLE
            > RESEARCH 400.-SK/1HOUR - DEMANDING RESEARCH 600.-SK/1 HOUR - VERY
            > DEMANDING
            > RESEARCH - 650.00-SK/1HOUR -TYPING 80.-SK 1HOUR - ARCHIVES ADMINISTRATIVE
            > FEE:100.-200.-SK AND HOW TO CHANGE THE AMERICA MONEY THAT WAY. CAN YOU
            > EXPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR ME. THANK
            > YOU, JACKIE STICH

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=242398.2790439.4182129.2745044/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1455157/R=0/*http://www.qksrv.net/click-1247917-10124188?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.genealogy.com%2Fcpc%2Ftrial14-census.html%3Fpriority%3D5000203>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
              At 04:44 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >HELLO THERE,
              >
              > I ASK YOU QUESTION
              >TO HELP ME IF THEY LOOK FAMILY TREE HISTORY AT ARCHIVES AT BRATISLAVA SIMPLE
              >RESEARCH 400.-SK/1HOUR - DEMANDING RESEARCH 600.-SK/1 HOUR - VERY DEMANDING
              >RESEARCH - 650.00-SK/1HOUR -TYPING 80.-SK 1HOUR - ARCHIVES ADMINISTRATIVE
              >FEE:100.-200.-SK AND HOW TO CHANGE THE AMERICA MONEY THAT WAY. CAN YOU
              >EXPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR ME. THANK
              >YOU, JACKIE STICH

              Today 38 SK = $1.00

              http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic Convert from SK (Slovak koruna) to
              USD (US dollar)

              John M.
            • Nancy Hagen
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
                Jackie,
                I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. I had the Archives at
                Bratislava do demanding research for me. The total for my research was
                $260.00 at that time (Sept. 2002). I sent them a Cashiers Check which I
                obtained at my bank. After they received the Cashiers check, they sent me
                the information.
                It was a very smooth transaction. However, from the time I sent the request
                to the time I received the information after paying them, was about 7
                months.
                I hope this helps you.
                Nancy
                > >TO HELP ME IF THEY LOOK FAMILY TREE HISTORY AT ARCHIVES AT BRATISLAVA
                SIMPLE
                > >RESEARCH 400.-SK/1HOUR - DEMANDING RESEARCH 600.-SK/1 HOUR - VERY
                DEMANDING
                > >RESEARCH - 650.00-SK/1HOUR -TYPING 80.-SK 1HOUR - ARCHIVES ADMINISTRATIVE
                > >FEE:100.-200.-SK AND HOW TO CHANGE THE AMERICA MONEY THAT WAY. CAN YOU
                > >EXPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR ME. THANK
                > >YOU, JACKIE STICH
                >
                > Today 38 SK = $1.00
                >
                > http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic Convert from SK (Slovak koruna) to
                > USD (US dollar)
                >
                > John M.

              • Ron Milliken
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Unless your ancestors lived in the area near Bratislava, the Archives at
                  Brataslava will have the research done by a regional archive, and will
                  act as the middle man. I believe I save some time by sending my
                  requests directly to the correct regional archive. The regional archive
                  then deals directly with me for payment, and they send the information
                  directly to me at the end. In my case, I use the regional archives in
                  Kosice to research my family from Trebisov, and I use the regional
                  archives in Presov to research my ancestors from the Humenne area.

                  I do much of my own research using the LDS microfilm of church records
                  and 1869 Hungarian Census, but the archives in Slovakia do a better job
                  than I do at reading the handwriting in the church books and in
                  interpreting some of the notations made in those books.

                  Ron Milliken

                  Nancy Hagen wrote:

                  > Jackie,
                  > I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. I had the Archives at
                  > Bratislava do demanding research for me. The total for my research was
                  > $260.00 at that time (Sept. 2002). I sent them a Cashiers Check which I
                  > obtained at my bank. After they received the Cashiers check, they sent me
                  > the information.
                  > It was a very smooth transaction. However, from the time I sent the
                  > request
                  > to the time I received the information after paying them, was about 7
                  > months.
                  > I hope this helps you.
                  > Nancy

                • Vera Holman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                    I have relatives located in Michalovce . Was wondering if there are offices within that town that might have researchers that can did the job without going to Bratislava. Don't the researchers also, charge for any traveling they do?
                    Would like to make some connection with my mother's relatives she left behind in Michalovce.
                    Hope you don't mind me asking what you received from the researchers for that price?
                    Thank you for your assistance in this request,
                    Vera
                    Jackie,
                    I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. I had the Archives at
                    Bratislava do demanding research for me. The total for my research was
                    $260.00 at that time (Sept. 2002). I sent them a Cashiers Check which I
                    obtained at my bank. After they received the Cashiers check, they sent me
                    the information.
                    It was a very smooth transaction. However, from the time I sent the request
                    to the time I received the information after paying them, was about 7
                    months.
                    I hope this helps you.
                    Nancy
                    > >TO HELP ME IF THEY LOOK FAMILY TREE HISTORY AT ARCHIVES AT BRATISLAVA
                    SIMPLE
                    > >RESEARCH 400.-SK/1HOUR - DEMANDING RESEARCH 600.-SK/1 HOUR - VERY
                    DEMANDING
                    > >RESEARCH - 650.00-SK/1HOUR -TYPING 80.-SK 1HOUR - ARCHIVES ADMINISTRATIVE
                    > >FEE:100.-200.-SK AND HOW TO CHANGE THE AMERICA MONEY THAT WAY. CAN YOU
                    > >EXPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR ME. THANK
                    > >YOU, JACKIE STICH
                    >
                    > Today 38 SK = $1.00
                    >
                    > http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic Convert from SK (Slovak koruna) to
                    > USD (US dollar)
                    >
                    > John M.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                      >Nancy,
                      I have relatives located in Michalovce . Was wondering if there are offices
                      within that town that might have researchers that can did the job without
                      going to Bratislava. Don't the researchers also, charge for any traveling
                      they do?
                      Would like to make some connection with my mother's relatives she left
                      behind in Michalovce.
                      Hope you don't mind me asking what you received from the researchers for
                      that price?
                      Thank you for your assistance in this request,
                      Vera<

                      What is the surname? You can check on people using the online Slovak phone
                      directory.

                      The LDS have microfilmed the Greek and Roman Catholic church registers for
                      Michalovce and they are available at your local LDS Family History Center.

                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=775842&subject_disp=Slovakia,_Michalovce_-_Church_records&columns=*,180,0

                      If you want the archives to do it for you, I would believe the Michalovce
                      records are in the Presov or Kosice archives. If you want information
                      after 1905, you will have to contact a researcher or the town office that
                      handles the vital statistics. The Presov archive told me to contact the
                      village office for anything after 1895 in my case. I found them in a town
                      about 15 miles from the village when I visited the village.

                      From: http://feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-arch.htm

                      "For Slovak research: Archivna Sprava, Krizkova 7, 811 04 Bratislava, Slovakia
                      If you are at all doubtful about which archive will have the parish
                      registers for the ancestral town in question, you should write to the
                      archive administration in Bratislava and they will make sure the
                      appropriate archive handles the request. In case you do know which archive
                      can help you, the list of addresses and telephone numbers is given below.

                      Both archive systems are used to mail inquiries and have someone who can
                      deal with inquiries in English. But make it easy: Write in clear, short
                      sentences and make clear requests.

                      Slovak state regional archives. (If you write directly to them, the first
                      line of the address will read: "Statny oblastny archiv" and the last line
                      will read "Slovak Republic" or "Slovakia".)
                      · Banska Bystrica: Sladkovicova 1, 974 05 Banska Bystrica.
                      Telephone 088/372 08. [This address is to change during 1996.]

                      · Bratislava: Krizkova 7, 811 04 Bratislava.
                      Telephone 460 51.

                      · Bytca: Kastiel, 014 35 Bytca
                      Telephone 0821/36 22.

                      · Kosice: Bacikova 1, 041 56 Kosice, Slovakia
                      Telephone 095/224 15.

                      · Levoca: Nam. Majstra Pavla 7, 054 01 Levoca
                      Telephone 0966/24 86.

                      · Nitra: Novozamocka 388, 949 08 Nitra-Ivanka
                      Telephone 087/643 84.

                      · Presov: Slanska ul. 33, Nizna Sebastov, 080 06 Presov
                      Telephone 091/333 05.

                      The Slovak Central Archive may also have materials pertinent to family
                      history. Its address:
                      Statny ustredny archiv SR, Drotarska cesta 42, 817 01 Bratislava; telephone
                      311 321."

                      John M.
                    • Nancy Hagen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                        Vera,
                        I think that all the records I was looking for were in Bratislava. I cannot
                        remember any "travel" costs.
                        I received several generations of the line I was looking for. Most of these
                        records were from Churches. The village the ancestors were from is about 120
                        miles from Bratislava. I was very pleased with what I received and what I
                        paid. I have had to hire a researcher in another state a couple of times and
                        each time he spends about 8-12 hours and I pay about $150. So the cost is
                        very cheap compared to what we pay in the states. However, no matter what,
                        if I had to travel to do it myself, the cost would be very high! I look at
                        it in that perspective.
                        Here in the States as well, the researcher finds what you are looking for
                        and then bills you for hours, copies, postage and for travel per mile. In
                        Slovakia, as I said, I do not think there were any travel charges.
                        I tried to go through the local parishes in Slovakia for my information, but
                        got no response. Many of the older folk do not speak English. Their second
                        language is Russian and 3rd is German. English if 4th. The younger ones do
                        tend to speak some English, but in smaller villages, this might not be the
                        case.
                        Good luck.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                          My surnames are; HOSPADOR(vr. spell.) SABO,MIKA,KUDRA,KOHUTE,FULTON,BUTKOSKY.
                          Have any common surnames as those of mine!!
                          Thanks for your suggestion, greatly appreciated for a late comer into genealogy.
                          With warm regards,
                          Vera

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                            HELLO THERE,

                            HOW I CAN REACH OVER EUROPE WHERE IS MY GRAND GREAT PARENTS
                            ARE ANDREW DANKO EST1869 FROM HUNGARY OR CZECH AND HIS WIFE ANNA ORGANISTA
                            OR ORGANIST EST1983 FROM GOPSECIA, HUNGARY OR CZECH AS HIS SON NAME JOSEPH
                            STEVEN DANKO. MY GRAND FATHER (JOSEPH STEVEN DANKO)
                            BORN SAROS,HUNGARY IN YEAR IS MARCH18,1885 AND DIED IN JAN. 4, 1964 AT LITTLE
                            FALLS,MORRISON, MINNESOTA. I LOOK FOR THE CHURCH NAME ST. ANDREW APOSTLE,
                            MAGYARKOPRONCE, AUSTRIA AND MAYBE AT GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH. I WANT THE
                            PICTURE OF CHURCH WHAT LOOK LIKE AND I NEED THE ADDRESS OF THE CHURCH. I NEED
                            COPY THE INFORMATION THEIR BIRTH, DEATH RECORDS, MARRIAGES. WHERE THEY
                            BURIED OVER EUROPE? AND WHAT ANDREW DANKO AND ANNA ORGANISTA OR ORGANIST DO
                            FOR LIVING JOB? WHAT ABOUT PICTURE OF THEM. PLEASE HELP ME INFORMATION
                            FOR MY FAMILY TREE. I GET A LETTER FROM THE PRICE FROM ODBOR ARCHIVE A
                            REGISTRATURATBRATISLAVA , KRIZKOVA LAST WEEK . I NEED ABOUT AMERICA PRICE
                            IS.
                            THANK YOU, JACQUELINE DANKO

                          • John M,
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 13, 2003
                              At 04:49 PM 3/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:

> [...]
                              This is the address for the English version of the SK
                              directory. http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

                              There were 48 Hospoda'r listed in Michalovce, many Sabo, 10 Mika, 13
                              Butkovsky/a, etc. Put the first three letters of the surname, if you're
                              not certain of the full spelling, and the first three letters of the city
                              and then search.

                              John M.

                            • Vera Holman
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 14, 2003
                                Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Greatly appreicated. You have given me a better perspective into the work of the researchers overseas.
                                Yes, the language seems to be the main stumbling block even researching on your own. Order a microfilm at the local History Center and I got no where because of the language which was Slavic.
                                I have a negative feeling toward forgeign researchers, especially from the UK. I told them what I wanted to see and they responded with their plans, which was want I wanted to have them search and send me. So I thought it was a resonable price,so I gave them the "go ahead" sign. All they sent to me was 1 page , which was a certificate for their asking price!!!!.So they don't always do what they say they will do!! I told them that was a ripoff and they asked me to send it back, which I did and my check was returned.
                                That is why I am trying to locate a local researcher in Michalovce. They would know exactly where the information would be.
                                Thanks,
                                Vera

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 14, 2003
                                  Thank you ,John for your generous and great input to my questions.Greatly, appreicate the help you have given concerning the where abouts of information for my relatives in Michalovce.
                                  Since my PC decided to break down, lost a lot of info in my "Favorites", so must start over again. But my spirits have been up lifted with your kind and helpful response.
                                  God bless.
                                  Vera

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 28, 2007
                                    Hi Vladimir,

                                    If you give me your names I will have a look, for free.can you help me or
                                    what?

                                    THANK YOU, JACKIE STICH

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 29, 2007
                                      Dear Jackie,