Re: Gyurkovics, Nagy, Kis and Dokus

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly <kgyurkovits@h...>"
      <kgyurkovits@h...> wrote:
      > Happy New Year to you all,
      >
      > I have been working on my Gyurkovics family tree. I have
      > many pictures from the old country plus 8 mm films taken in the 60's
      > and 70's but I can not make any connections over there. My family
      > comes from the Rudna, Berzete and Roznava area. I have tried the
      > Slovak phone directory but found nothing. The last names are
      > Gyurkovics, Nagy, Kis or Kiss and Dokus. Does anyone have family in
      > this area.
      >
      > Kelly

      You will find the Hungarian surname Gyurkovics in Hungary proper.

      Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to Hungarian
      but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.
      This was akin to South Slavic surname affix -ic'/-vic', -ovic' pron.
      ovich, meaning 'son of'.
      Hence, probably a surname derived from given name Gy├Ârgy (George)
      dim. Gyurko, and meaning son of George.

      In Hungarian the letter 'gy' is pron. like 'di' in English word
      medium.

      George is Juraj (dim. Jurko) in Slovak.

      Nagy meaning 'large' in Hungarian, is a common surname.
      Probably 55,000 surname bearers just in Hungary.
      Another common Hungarian surname is Kis,Kiss meaning 'small'.
      Probably 40,000 surname bearers in Hungary.