Re: [S-R] Re: RABATIN

  • RMH
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2003
      Dear Frank -

      First of all - not in the village of Nanuet, but Rockland County does have a
      historic lighthouse in the town of Stony Point - on the Hudson River.

      Thank you for the information. I had been looking at that myself recently,
      trying to gather information for my Uncle John Rabatin who just celebrated
      his 90th birthday. When you speak to him, you might as well be speaking to
      any 40 or 50 year old - I hope I got some of his genes!

      I think that "Stowerstown" really reads "Howerstown" - that's a funny "H" at
      the beginning - and for sure meant Haverstraw. Julia (Makohus) Rabatin and
      Susanna and Anna are my grandmother and two aunts returning from one of two
      visits grandma made back to Europe. The oldest daughter was left in this
      country during this trip - she would have been six years old, and
      undoubtedly was in school.

      I had discovered "Pal", which the Slovak World list told me was a good
      Hungarian name. I had not picked up on Janos, because when I looked at the
      Ellis Island site I had not yet made the connection that "Szecsmezo" was
      Sec^ovska Polianka in Hungarian.

      I don't know anything more about Pal, Janos and the brother that Jozsef went
      to in Tuxedo Park, which is the first town in Orange County, just north of
      Sloatsburg and Suffern, the western villages in Rockland County - not that
      far from Haverstraw. I don't know of any work there except on the rich
      estates in Tuxedo Park. I'm inclined to think some of these men returned to
      Europe - I know that grandma's brother did return, and he appears on one
      census here - I never did find the others on a census.

      Does anyone else have a problem with reading the information on the right
      side of the Ellis Island manifest? It would seem to me that the information
      relating to a passenger would be written between two heavier lines, with a
      lighter one separating the two lines of information. However it looks like
      "Uncle - Andras Rabatin" is on the line above the listing of Howerstown, NY,
      in the section that would seem to relate to the previous passenger. A
      little confusing, I think.

      I do want to find out how many brothers my grandfather Andrej Rabatin had -
      according to his naturalization papers he came here in 1881. My uncle said
      his parents married in Europe, and dzeda came over first. But Julia Makohus
      wasn't born until 1875, while dzeda was born in 1859, 1861 or 1863,
      depending on which record you look at. So Andrej made at least one trip back
      for a bride.

      Grandfather Andrej Rabatin died in 1916, and so I don't know whether he was
      Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic - I do know that grandma Julia Makohus
      Rabatin was a Greek Catholic in Europe. So perhaps it's the Greek Catholic
      record film that I need to borrow from the LDS.

      Frank, as always your help is very much appreciated!

      Regina Rabatin Haring
      Nanuet, NY
      http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com