Re: [S-R] Location ID help needed

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2002
      Dear squinch42,

      Orlov is located in a valley, that was used for heavy trading with Poland, and it is quite possible, that Demetrious came from Poland.
      I would check the records for possible appearance of this surname in marriage records, where another spelling of the place of origin could be.
      There may also have been other persons, coming from the same place, so one scan through the marriage records, checking just the origins of persons could also help finding it written again, but maybe more clearly.
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
        I have reviewed the film from 1824 and forward several times. Both
        the name and place appear only in 1839 and 1840. Even the location of
        Orlo/Orlov does not appear too often in the church records before
        1830. I did not observe this new place anywhere else before or after
        these two citations. The subsequent death records of both men and the
        daughter (1839 marriage)identifies only "Orlo". I was hoping the name
        of one of the area's other villages had an older name that tied it to
        this new place name. I spoke with a New Jersey genealogist about the
        matter. He specializes in Rusyn family histories but he couldn't help
        identify it either.

        My hope is to visit Slovakia next summer and bring along the pages
        showing my dead ends. Maybe someone there can help. I intend to visit
        the base roots of my family - Orlov. Malcov, Trebisov and Sarisske
        Sokolovce - and those of my wife - Ulics and maybe Ruske (not sure
        this is the place yet). Can anyone suggest a good location to use as
        a base from which to visit these places without changing hotels too
        often? Can you name a hotel?

        I have also been seeking the place where my wife's grandmother was
        born but she left no trace of her past. She married her husband in
        the US 15 years after she arrived at age 4. The maiden name is
        spelled "WELCHKO" in the US but I have no idea about the likely real
        spelling or region. (I suspect she too came from the area near Ulics,
        Ukraine or that SE area of Poland. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
        Thanks for everthing.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
        wrote:
        > Dear squinch42,
        >
        > Orlov is located in a valley, that was used for heavy trading with
        Poland, and it is quite possible, that Demetrious came from Poland.
        > I would check the records for possible appearance of this surname
        in marriage records, where another spelling of the place of origin
        could be.
        > There may also have been other persons, coming from the same place,
        so one scan through the marriage records, checking just the origins
        of persons could also help finding it written again, but maybe more
        clearly.
        > Vladimir

        Service.

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
          Dear squinch42,
          Can you send me a scan of that particular record? my address is
          konekta@...
          The best would be to stay in Presov, hotel Dukla.Underground garage.
          Re Welchko
          There are now surnames like Velcek, Velicka, Velicko.
          Since those people were emigrating in hungarian times, go to the Ellis
          Island and check for
          Velcsek, Velicska and Velicsko.You can also try with W, but there will not
          be many if any.
          I think, it was Velicsko. So, have alook and make yourself a list of places
          they were coming from and then mark them on a good map.(there is no
          genealogy without a good map)
          In this way you will see their concentrations and see, which parishes you
          have to check to find your folks.
          Do you have a name?
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          wrote:
          > Dear squinch42,
          >
          > Orlov is located in a valley, that was used for heavy trading with
          Poland, and it is quite possible, that Demetrious came from Poland.
          > I would check the records for possible appearance of this surname
          in marriage records, where another spelling of the place of origin
          could be.
          > There may also have been other persons, coming from the same place,
          so one scan through the marriage records, checking just the origins
          of persons could also help finding it written again, but maybe more
          clearly.
          > Vladimir

          Service.

        • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
            The Orlo file is now part of this sites "files". Can't it be copied
            or downloaded on your PC? I tried to send the jpg file to you but my
            PC doesn't recognize your email address to send anything out.