Re: [S-R] Re: Wasko, Kertis

  • Scott & Kathleen Black
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
      ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
      NY ?
      Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

      Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry Christmas.
      Kathleen

    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Kathleen Black"
        <kblack@i...> wrote:

        > ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in
        Binghamton,
        > NY ?
        > Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her
        obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic
        Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

        > Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry
        Christmas.
        > Kathleen

        Sorry.
        Since the 2 villages no longer exist I gave you incorrect
        locations.
        Vel'ká Pol'ana (Sk) Nagypolany (H) was located 246 miles ENE
        of Bratislava and Ruské (Sk) was located 3 miles distant.

        The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers of
        baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1825-1879) for Ruské (Sk), Slovakia;
        formerly Ruszka, Zemplén megye (county), Hungary.
        Also known as Oroszruszka (H) Rus'kyj (Rusyn)
        Text in Latin.

        film #
        1793643

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
        (You should be able to rent microfilm for about $3.50)

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = Marriages
        Zomrelí = Deaths

        In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
        Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
        Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
        Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records
      • MA Bensh
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
          Kathleen -

          Hi, would be great if we were researching the same familly. I have little info on my ggf. His name was Joseph Wasko and that he was born in "Austria" (probably around 1880-1890 and died before 1940. He lived in Bayonne, NJ, with his wife Anna and 4 kids.

          If you come across a Joseph Wasko in your research, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind. I'll do the same with your info.

          Hope you had a happy holiday.

          Melissa

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
            Kathleen,

            Serendipity may be at work here. I have been looking for a George
            HRIB, who gave "RUSSKI" as his birth place on his SS application. To
            date, I have not found him in the LDS records, maybe because his
            indicated year of birth is not covered by the LDS RUSKE tapes. I
            now have a reason to get those tapes and search those years that are
            covered looking for other names. There may be a linkage between your
            WASKO and my HRIB. My guy was supposedly born in December 1889 to
            Andrew HRIB and Helen WASKO. When he arrived in the US, he and his
            uncle appear to have headed to a SW suburb of Pittsburgh around 1905
            but separated. By 1909, George is married in Cambria County. While I
            can't find him in the 1910 census, I know he lived with his growing
            family in both Portage and Patton, PA before moving to NJ.

            If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to
            contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I
            will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office
            reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a
            worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "keblack2 <kblack@i...>"

          • bemimitwo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
              sorry i dont know any of these names and have just joined today also but
              have not listed any names yet i was just looking .

            • Scott & Kathleen Black
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                Melissa,
                I will keep you information handy and let you know what I come across.

                Kathleen

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                  >If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                  That would be great! Thanks for keeping me in mind. I will also let you know if I run across anything.

                  Kathleen

                • MA Bensh
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                    Thanks Kathleen!

                    Melissa

                  • MA Bensh
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                      Kathleen -

                      Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                      http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                      Thought it might help you.

                      Melissa

                    • Scott & Kathleen Black
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                        Melissa,
                        Thank you very much for remembering me. I have bookmarked the site.
                        Kathleen
                        Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                        http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                        Thought it might help you.

                        Melissa

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor