RE: [S-R] Re: Wasko, Kertis

  • rcuster@erols.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
      The villages you're looking for, unfortunately, no longer exist. They were
      two of seven villages which were depopulated in 1980 to make way for a dam
      on the Cirocha River northeast of Snina in far northeastern Slovakia.

      (Technically, some of these villages are still on the map, but nobody lives
      there and most of the houses & churches are gone.)
      A map showing Ruske: http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg102.html
      Adjacent segment showing Velka Polana:
      http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

      Most of the former residents today live in Snina, Humenne, or some of the
      other local Rusyn villages that still exist.

      Their present official Slovak-language names are Ruske and Velka Polana.
      They were in the old Austro-Hungarian county of Zemplen/Zemplyn. These
      were entirely Rusyn-inhabited places. The natives called them Ruskyj and
      Velyky Poljany respectively.

      Hautur/Chautur/Chavtur is a surname indigenous to Velka Polana. The
      current Greek Catholic bishop of Kosice, Slovakia is Bishop Milan Chautur,
      and he was raised in Velka Polana.
      http://www.ke.telecom.sk/fara/apoex/

      Hrib/Hryb is a surname indigenous to Ruske.

      And yes, these villages were not all that far from Ulic~.

      More information on Rusyns:
      www.carpatho-rusyn.org
      www.carpathorusynsociety.org
      etc.

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
        I forgot to mention--
        Since you're dealing also with Binghamton, NY:

        Most of the immigrants from Velka Polana/Velyky Poljany settled in
        Binghamton NY and Scranton, Berwick, and McKees Rocks, PA. Also a number
        of them went to South Fork and Portage, PA.

        Lots of immigrants from Ruske/Rus'kyj settled in Binghamton, Scranton, and
        Portage.

        Good luck!
        Rich Custer

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
          ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
          NY ?
          Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

          Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry Christmas.
          Kathleen

        • Frank <frankur@att.net>
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Kathleen Black"
            <kblack@i...> wrote:

            > ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in
            Binghamton,
            > NY ?
            > Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her
            obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic
            Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

            > Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry
            Christmas.
            > Kathleen

            Sorry.
            Since the 2 villages no longer exist I gave you incorrect
            locations.
            Vel'ká Pol'ana (Sk) Nagypolany (H) was located 246 miles ENE
            of Bratislava and Ruské (Sk) was located 3 miles distant.

            The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers of
            baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1825-1879) for Ruské (Sk), Slovakia;
            formerly Ruszka, Zemplén megye (county), Hungary.
            Also known as Oroszruszka (H) Rus'kyj (Rusyn)
            Text in Latin.

            film #
            1793643

            Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
            (You should be able to rent microfilm for about $3.50)

            LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

            In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
            Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
            Sobás^ení = Marriages
            Zomrelí = Deaths

            In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
            Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
            Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
            Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records
          • MA Bensh
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
              Kathleen -

              Hi, would be great if we were researching the same familly. I have little info on my ggf. His name was Joseph Wasko and that he was born in "Austria" (probably around 1880-1890 and died before 1940. He lived in Bayonne, NJ, with his wife Anna and 4 kids.

              If you come across a Joseph Wasko in your research, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind. I'll do the same with your info.

              Hope you had a happy holiday.

              Melissa

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                Kathleen,

                Serendipity may be at work here. I have been looking for a George
                HRIB, who gave "RUSSKI" as his birth place on his SS application. To
                date, I have not found him in the LDS records, maybe because his
                indicated year of birth is not covered by the LDS RUSKE tapes. I
                now have a reason to get those tapes and search those years that are
                covered looking for other names. There may be a linkage between your
                WASKO and my HRIB. My guy was supposedly born in December 1889 to
                Andrew HRIB and Helen WASKO. When he arrived in the US, he and his
                uncle appear to have headed to a SW suburb of Pittsburgh around 1905
                but separated. By 1909, George is married in Cambria County. While I
                can't find him in the 1910 census, I know he lived with his growing
                family in both Portage and Patton, PA before moving to NJ.

                If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to
                contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I
                will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office
                reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a
                worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

              • bemimitwo@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                  sorry i dont know any of these names and have just joined today also but
                  have not listed any names yet i was just looking .

                • Scott & Kathleen Black
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                    Melissa,
                    I will keep you information handy and let you know what I come across.

                    Kathleen

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                      >If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                      That would be great! Thanks for keeping me in mind. I will also let you know if I run across anything.

                      Kathleen

                    • MA Bensh
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                        Thanks Kathleen!

                        Melissa

                      • MA Bensh
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                          Kathleen -

                          Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                          http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                          Thought it might help you.

                          Melissa

                        • Scott & Kathleen Black
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                            Melissa,
                            Thank you very much for remembering me. I have bookmarked the site.
                            Kathleen
                            Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                            http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                            Thought it might help you.

                            Melissa

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor