Re: [S-R] Re: Wasko, Kertis

  • grandliss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
      Kathleen:

      If you go to the JewishGen site, (ShtetlSeeker), you can do a town search. It
      will bring up a map where these villages are located.

      Ruski is located 153.9 miles ESE of Prague.
      Poloni is located 114.8 miles ESE of Prague.

      SMLISS

    • Frank <frankur@att.net>
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "keblack2 <kblack@i...>"
        <kblack@i...> wrote:
        > I am new to the group today. The first emails I get are about the
        > surname Wasko (Vasko). I also have Wasko in my line, I have just
        > started researching this line, thankyou for mentioning the alternate
        > spelling I am going to check Ellis Island with this spelling.
        > The Wasko I am researching is:
        >
        > Ilona (Helen) Wasko
        > Born Nov 18, 1894 in Ruski, Czechoslovakia
        > Married Frank Havtur in Binghamton, NY (Frank was born in Poloni,
        > Czechoslovakia). Second married to Selanich.
        >
        > Ilona parents names were Michael Wasko and Anna Mackoski. The parent
        > info is taken from her death certificate, so it is not proven quite
        > yet. Information was given by a daughter-in-law.
        >
        > Is there a map on line that would show village names? I would like
        > try and find where they were born.
        >
        > Thanks for the help
        > Kathleen

        Helen (E)
        Ilona (H)
        Helene (G)
        Helena (Sk,Cz,P)

        There was no country called Czechoslovakia until 1920.
        Before WW I it was either Czech-Bohemia or Upper-Hungary (now
        Slovakia)

        Frank Havtur was from Pol'any which is located 224 miles east of
        Bratislava and near Leles, Slovakia at the current Slovakia, Hungary,
        Ukraine border.
        Perhaps Ruski was Ruská which is located 9 miles distant from
        Pol'any ?

        Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
        NY ?
        Mackoski is a Polish surname.
      • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
          If you find where Ruski is located, and if its near Ulics, please
          post the nearest towns for me. I have been seeking a "Russki,
          Czechoslovakia" [as typed on a SS Application] for two years but
          haven't found the George HRIB I'm seeking - (1889). Thanks.

        • rcuster@erols.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
            The villages you're looking for, unfortunately, no longer exist. They were
            two of seven villages which were depopulated in 1980 to make way for a dam
            on the Cirocha River northeast of Snina in far northeastern Slovakia.

            (Technically, some of these villages are still on the map, but nobody lives
            there and most of the houses & churches are gone.)
            A map showing Ruske: http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg102.html
            Adjacent segment showing Velka Polana:
            http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

            Most of the former residents today live in Snina, Humenne, or some of the
            other local Rusyn villages that still exist.

            Their present official Slovak-language names are Ruske and Velka Polana.
            They were in the old Austro-Hungarian county of Zemplen/Zemplyn. These
            were entirely Rusyn-inhabited places. The natives called them Ruskyj and
            Velyky Poljany respectively.

            Hautur/Chautur/Chavtur is a surname indigenous to Velka Polana. The
            current Greek Catholic bishop of Kosice, Slovakia is Bishop Milan Chautur,
            and he was raised in Velka Polana.
            http://www.ke.telecom.sk/fara/apoex/

            Hrib/Hryb is a surname indigenous to Ruske.

            And yes, these villages were not all that far from Ulic~.

            More information on Rusyns:
            www.carpatho-rusyn.org
            www.carpathorusynsociety.org
            etc.

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
              I forgot to mention--
              Since you're dealing also with Binghamton, NY:

              Most of the immigrants from Velka Polana/Velyky Poljany settled in
              Binghamton NY and Scranton, Berwick, and McKees Rocks, PA. Also a number
              of them went to South Fork and Portage, PA.

              Lots of immigrants from Ruske/Rus'kyj settled in Binghamton, Scranton, and
              Portage.

              Good luck!
              Rich Custer

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
                ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
                NY ?
                Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

                Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry Christmas.
                Kathleen

              • Frank <frankur@att.net>
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Kathleen Black"
                  <kblack@i...> wrote:

                  > ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in
                  Binghamton,
                  > NY ?
                  > Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her
                  obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic
                  Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

                  > Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry
                  Christmas.
                  > Kathleen

                  Sorry.
                  Since the 2 villages no longer exist I gave you incorrect
                  locations.
                  Vel'ká Pol'ana (Sk) Nagypolany (H) was located 246 miles ENE
                  of Bratislava and Ruské (Sk) was located 3 miles distant.

                  The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers of
                  baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1825-1879) for Ruské (Sk), Slovakia;
                  formerly Ruszka, Zemplén megye (county), Hungary.
                  Also known as Oroszruszka (H) Rus'kyj (Rusyn)
                  Text in Latin.

                  film #
                  1793643

                  Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
                  (You should be able to rent microfilm for about $3.50)

                  LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                  In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
                  Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                  Sobás^ení = Marriages
                  Zomrelí = Deaths

                  In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
                  Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                  Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                  Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records
                • MA Bensh
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                    Kathleen -

                    Hi, would be great if we were researching the same familly. I have little info on my ggf. His name was Joseph Wasko and that he was born in "Austria" (probably around 1880-1890 and died before 1940. He lived in Bayonne, NJ, with his wife Anna and 4 kids.

                    If you come across a Joseph Wasko in your research, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind. I'll do the same with your info.

                    Hope you had a happy holiday.

                    Melissa

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                      Kathleen,

                      Serendipity may be at work here. I have been looking for a George
                      HRIB, who gave "RUSSKI" as his birth place on his SS application. To
                      date, I have not found him in the LDS records, maybe because his
                      indicated year of birth is not covered by the LDS RUSKE tapes. I
                      now have a reason to get those tapes and search those years that are
                      covered looking for other names. There may be a linkage between your
                      WASKO and my HRIB. My guy was supposedly born in December 1889 to
                      Andrew HRIB and Helen WASKO. When he arrived in the US, he and his
                      uncle appear to have headed to a SW suburb of Pittsburgh around 1905
                      but separated. By 1909, George is married in Cambria County. While I
                      can't find him in the 1910 census, I know he lived with his growing
                      family in both Portage and Patton, PA before moving to NJ.

                      If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to
                      contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I
                      will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office
                      reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a
                      worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                    • bemimitwo@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                        sorry i dont know any of these names and have just joined today also but
                        have not listed any names yet i was just looking .

                      • Scott & Kathleen Black
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                          Melissa,
                          I will keep you information handy and let you know what I come across.

                          Kathleen

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                            >If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                            That would be great! Thanks for keeping me in mind. I will also let you know if I run across anything.

                            Kathleen

                          • MA Bensh
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                              Thanks Kathleen!

                              Melissa

                            • MA Bensh
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                Kathleen -

                                Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                                http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                                Thought it might help you.

                                Melissa

                              • Scott & Kathleen Black
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                  Melissa,
                                  Thank you very much for remembering me. I have bookmarked the site.
                                  Kathleen
                                  Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                                  http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                                  Thought it might help you.

                                  Melissa

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor