Re: [S-R] Wasko, Kertis

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2002
      Hi Melissa,
      you have to start with the first generation born here in the USA , which
      would be your grandfather. do you know which church they attended?
      Noreen
    • PHILBAER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
        To Mellisa,

        As others have said, the surname Wasko is probably Vasko. I met a "Vasko" when I was visiting Slovakia last year. She was Anna Vaskova living in Siba, near Bardejov. I was researching the Majirsky surname and found that Anna Vaskova, age 77, was a distant relative to the Majirsky's in Hertnek, where my ancestors lived in early 1890's.

        Philip Baer
      • MA Bensh
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
          Thanks. Hadn't thought about churches. My grandmother was born in Europe, but as far as I know, my grandfather was born here. Will check with my mom to see what she remembers about churches they may have attended.

          Melissa

        • MA Bensh
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
            Phillip -

            Thanks. I am researching under both Wasko and Vasko. In fact, I found one immigration record at Ellis Island under Vasko! Am hoping to find others. Thanks.

            Melissa

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
              <PRE>when you do find the churches, you will need to ask to see the baptismal
              records of the children born to the persons who came from europe. it will
              contain the village of birth for the parents.